XBOX ONE as a pc streaming service?

Started by Legend, Sep 10, 2014, 09:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Xevross

Do you need an xbox one to play these games (like remote play). If not then they might as well kill it now because there's no reason to buy one

u4gReservoirDogs

Do you need Internet Explorer?
If so, then I don't think it will be succesful.  ;)
I'm always willing to endure humiliation on behalf of my characters. - Ben Stiller

ethomaz

It is like Vita RemotePlay or PlayStation Now?

kitler53

bring a streaming service to PC makes waaaay more sense than ps4/3/vita imo.

i really want to like psnow but sony's rollout priorities are all sorts of iced up imo.  non-gaming devices before gaming devices makes sense because this is a service intended to break down the "limitation" of having to buy hardware.  current gen titles makes more sense than last gen titles.   rental as the only option doesn't make any sense.  i know sony will get there eventually but it looks like MS isn't being so back-assward with their rollout.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Rental or subscription is really the only way streaming can work kitler.

It costs the streaming company x amount of dollars you play.

kitler53

Rental or subscription is really the only way streaming can work kitler.

It costs the streaming company x amount of dollars you play.

disagree.  i use amazon cloud player every day.  i buy an album and then i can play it off the cloud as much as i want.

...i think cross-buy with psnow for digitally purchased games would make a fantastic bullet point to the psplus subscription and would make the economics work out.  streaming shouldn't be that expensive.  the whole point of the cloud is low cost delivery afterall.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

disagree.  i use amazon cloud player every day.  i buy an album and then i can play it off the cloud as much as i want.

...i think cross-buy with psnow for digitally purchased games would make a fantastic bullet point to the psplus subscription and would make the economics work out.  streaming shouldn't be that expensive.  the whole point of the cloud is low cost delivery afterall.

Games take a lot more power to run than just streaming a song or music though.

In time yeah the prices will naturally go down, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

the-pi-guy

Streaming audio and even video is worlds away from streaming games.  At least 7th gen games.  Consider the type of devices that would be required to play those types of content.  Go into a store, and buy the cheapest device to play audio.  10$?  Go into a store and buy the cheapest device to play video.  30$?  Cheapest 7th gen console is still over 100$. 
Now let's think about it another way.  You spend 200$ on a device to play PS3 games and 200$ on a device that can output a large number of audio streams.  For streaming, that would be 1 person vs I don't even know, perhaps 100s, 1000s, or lots more. 
Continuing that, let's consider the cost of 1 vs 100s, 1000s? 
200$ vs 2$, 0.20$. 
Ad revenue probably covers the audio cost easily. 

I would say a better spot to start streaming games would be older games, PS1 or something. 

7H3

I'm surprised this was a launch feature, or planned / announced feature earlier... makes sense similar to PS Now functionality, but for PC games... Also be cool to have a media center set up like ps3, but for games as well so you could stream locally to your console
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend