What are your thoughts on the potential Space Force?

Started by Legend, Aug 09, 2018, 11:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

nnodley

I mean something like it will be necessary eventually most likely.  But, it's not going to be really necessary for at least another decade or so.  Or longer?

Legend

I mean something like it will be necessary eventually most likely.  But, it's not going to be really necessary for at least another decade or so.  Or longer?
Yeah I think the Air Force already has it covered for the near term. It'd definitely be a while before it expands into something too large for the Air Force to handle.

Although it would be really really cool...

nnodley

Aug 10, 2018, 01:31 AM Last Edit: Aug 10, 2018, 01:32 AM by nnodley
Yeah I think the Air Force already has it covered for the near term. It'd definitely be a while before it expands into something too large for the Air Force to handle.

Although it would be really really cool...
Yeah it would be dope to have one.  I'm kinda upset that I feel like I was born just decade or so too early to really have the ability to join something like that.  If a space force was around when I was young, I would be giving serious thought to trying to join.  It's literally one thing I always think about.  I think its a reason why I'm so drawn to wanting to make sci fi games and why Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises.   Literally playing my own fantasy of traveling into space.

My only hope is we find a way to stop aging dramatically and I can live long enough and still be young enough to join after living a life doing what I'm doing now. lol

Kerotan

Cool idea but not needed for a long long time.

DD_Bwest

it is in no way needed, not even remotely close.

but anything that increases funding towards anything space related is a plus.   lol

Legend

Yeah it would be dope to have one.  I'm kinda upset that I feel like I was born just decade or so too early to really have the ability to join something like that.  If a space force was around when I was young, I would be giving serious thought to trying to join.  It's literally one thing I always think about.  I think its a reason why I'm so drawn to wanting to make sci fi games and why Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises.   Literally playing my own fantasy of traveling into space.

My only hope is we find a way to stop aging dramatically and I can live long enough and still be young enough to join after living a life doing what I'm doing now. lol
I guess it really depends on how many people we need in space. It'd be pretty easy for the Space Force to just have everything automated and maybe only need a handful of their own astronauts. Or we could get full on cislunar 1,000 going on and need lots of people up there.

Also in related news, a big person in the military (forgot who) was talking about how incredible BFR could be for them. The military would love to set up giant warehouses in space that could resupply anywhere on Earth in a moments notice. They'd also love to use BFR Earth to Earth to transport stuff. Imagine loading up a BFR with a couple tanks and then launching it to a base on the other side of the world within 60 minutes. It'd be cost competitive with flying tanks by plane yet allow for rapid deployment.

Originally most people dismissed BFR E2E for military use since it'd be so easy to shoot down, but it seems like it'd be a game changer even when landing at established military bases.

the-pi-guy

Short term i I think a lot of it's operations would be what the air force currently does.

I'm pretty optimistic though because we could start packaging space exploration and stuff under the defense budget which is more likely to get funding than NASA is.