EA Has Provided A New Combined Install Base Estimate for PS4 & XB1 (READ OP)

Started by Legend, May 09, 2018, 05:57 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

EA Has Provided A New Combined Install Base Estimate for PS4 & XB1 (READ OP) | ResetEra

From DualShockers:
The publisher expects PS4 and Xbox One to "continue to be strong." Electronic Arts expects the combined installed base of the two consoles to grow to 130 million units by the end of the calendar year 2018. We also get an estimate of 103 million by December 31st, 2017.Click to expand...
This means that if EA's estimate is correct, the Xbox One sold 29.4 million units by December 31st, 2017, considering that we know that PS4 sold 73.6 million units by that same date.Click to expand...
I thought they had cleared 30M even before the launch of the One X. Please don't turn this thread into flame warz. This is about EA's estimates. If they think they'll add ~27M consoles within the year, what do they assume the breakdown is? 17:10? Or more/less on either side? ZhugeEX said:  
It's weird because EA said the installed base at the end of calendar 2016 was 79 million. Now they say the installed base is 103 million at the end of 2017. So if we look at the numbers Sony provided. PS4 was at 53.4m at the end of 2016. That would put Xbox One around ~25.6m. PS4 was 73.6m at the end of 2017. That would put Xbox One around ~29.4mSo EA is estimating that Xbox One sold around 3.8m units in 2017. But the Xbox One sold more than that in the US alone. So the numbers don't add up. Perhaps they're excluding some territory or maybe Pro/OneX?As I stated in prior threads, the Xbox One installed base is over 35 million globally. http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...s4-xbox-one-sales-reach-105-million-end-2017/Click to expand...
ZhugeEX said:  
I'm not sure what the reason is for the discrepancy with EA's estimates. It could be it excludes Pro/One X numbers. It could be that EA excludes a territory like Japan (they used to do this last generation) It could be that EA estimates PS4 at a lower number. (Which would be weird given Sony release the official numbers) It could be that installed base =/= sell through in EA's eyes. So replacement consoles sold wouldn't count and only people actively using consoles would count? EA's estimates aren't wrong. I'm just fairly certain one of the above things is true. Ultimately what we do know is PS4 sell through was 73.6m at the end of 2017. Xbox One is less than half of that total which shows the big gap between the two in terms of sales. But that's something that has been known for a long time.Click to expand...

Xevross

So this doesn't tell us much then? dang EA, we thought you were reliable with this!

BananaKing

So this doesn't tell us much then? dang EA, we thought you were reliable with this!
It's your fault for thinking EA might not disappoint you

Dr. Pezus

I didn't lulz

Xevross

the-pi-guy

I didn't expect the numbers to be that bad...
I would have thought they'd have a slightly better idea, but instead they seemingly know less than everyone else.  

Xevross

I didn't expect the numbers to be that bad...
I would have thought they'd have a slightly better idea, but instead they seemingly know less than everyone else. 
Apparently they just weren't being clear. According to Pachter, Wilson didn't actually write this and his aides were sloppy when they did. They got it wrong and were meant to say about 100m consoles, with 27m sold last year. That would point to XB1 being almost at 35m at the end of the year, which is what we expected and lines up with ZhugeX confirming XB1 is above 35m now.

the-pi-guy

Makes sense I think.  

Crazy how PS4 outsold Xbox One 2:1.  
73:35.

Legend

Apparently they just weren't being clear. According to Pachter, Wilson didn't actually write this and his aides were sloppy when they did. They got it wrong and were meant to say about 100m consoles, with 27m sold last year. That would point to XB1 being almost at 35m at the end of the year, which is what we expected and lines up with ZhugeX confirming XB1 is above 35m now.
So it puts xbox a bit below zhugex's estimate. That's like 5 million below 360 at the same time right?

Xevross

So it puts xbox a bit below zhugex's estimate. That's like 5 million below 360 at the same time right?
Zhuge was referring to now more than at the end of last year, I believe. So it lines up that it was just under 35m at the start of the year and now passed it.

Its less than 360 yeah, and will have nowhere near the legs of course.

Dr. Pezus

Zhuge was referring to now more than at the end of last year, I believe. So it lines up that it was just under 35m at the start of the year and now passed it.

We're still in pre-kinect times

Legend

I just mean a lot of people were hoping zhugex's number was conservative but this confirms it wasn't.

We're still in pre-kinect times
Well this gen is having a fortnight boost  :P

Dr. Pezus

I just mean a lot of people were hoping zhugex's number was conservative but this confirms it wasn't.
Well this gen is having a fortnight boost  :P
Meh it hasn't really boosted more than a few hundred k at most by now. Most of the sales happened before Fortnite became big