Nintendo Switch Online: New Info (Cloud Saves, 20 NES games, Family Plan)

Started by Legend, May 08, 2018, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Nintendo Switch Online: New Info (Cloud Saves, 20 NES games, Family Plan) | ResetEra

(​IMG)https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/ Some remarks:
  • Cloud saves confirmed! Only for subscribers.
  • Free NES games with added online play for subscribers.
  • The service will launch with 20 games, with new games added regularly. Launch titles include:
    • Soccer
    • Tennis
    • Donkey Kong™
    • Mario Bros.™
    • Super Mario Bros.™
    • Balloon Fight™
    • Ice Climber™
    • Dr. Mario™
    • The Legend of Zelda™
    • Super Mario Bros.™ 3
  • The previously announced price of $20 yearly is for individual users. Other accounts on your Switch won't be able to use online services.
  • if you want to share your subscription with other accounts (either on the same console or different ones) you can buy a family plan for $35 yearly.
  • Assuming there are no other restrictions, Nintendo Switch Online can be as low as $4.38 a year if you find 7 other people, form a Nintendo Account Family Group, and split the costs. (Thanks Wario64 for pointing this)
  • Voice chat will still require the mobile app.
(​IMG)(​IMG) Full PR:
REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo's upcoming Nintendo Switch Online service is an affordable, multi-featured paid service that lets users enjoy online play for compatible Nintendo Switch games, access classic NES games with added online functionality, back up save data for most games and use additional features for the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app that will enhance the online experience for compatible games. Nintendo revealed more information about Nintendo Switch Online, including pricing, Save Data Cloud backup and additional details about the classic NES games subscribers will be able to play when it launches in September.
  • U.S. Pricing: Various price points offer a variety of affordable options for different players.
    • Individual memberships:
      • One month: $3.99
      • Three months: $7.99
      • 12 months: $19.99
    • Family membership (12 months): $34.99 With a family membership, up to eight Nintendo Account holders will be able to use the Nintendo Switch Online service, even on different systems.
  • Nintendo Entertainment System - Nintendo Switch Online: Subscribers will have access to NES - Nintendo Switch Online, a compilation of classic NES games. The collection will initially include 20 games, with more added on a regular basis. At launch, previously announced games Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario and Super Mario Bros. 3 will be joined by Donkey Kong, Ice Climber, The Legend of Zelda, Mario Bros., Soccer, Super Mario Bros. and Tennis. An additional 10 launch games will be announced in the future. For the first time ever, players will be able to enjoy these classic NES games online. Depending on the game, players can engage in online competitive or co-op multiplayer, or take turns controlling the action. Friends can even watch each other play single-player games online, and "pass the controller" at any time. Every classic NES game will support voice chat via the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app*. It will also be possible to play these games offline.
  • Save Data Cloud Backup: By using Nintendo Switch Online, a backup of Nintendo Switch save data for most Nintendo Switch games will be stored online for easy access. This is great for people who want to retrieve their data if they lose, break or purchase an additional Nintendo Switch system.
  • Online Play: A Nintendo Switch Online membership will be needed to participate in co-op and competitive online features for many current and upcoming Nintendo Switch games, such as Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Mario Tennis Aces and Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido.
  • Nintendo Switch Online App*: The Nintendo Switch Online smartphone application can be used to enhance the online experience for compatible games through voice chat and other features.
*The Nintendo Switch Online app is for Nintendo Account holders 13 years old or older. Persistent internet access and compatible smartphone are required. Data charges may apply.Click to expand...

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Eh so it's only dirt cheap if you buy it for one account.

BananaKing

Eh so it's only dirt cheap if you buy it for one account.
It's only dirt dirt cheap if you find 7 other people with switches that you trust. And split the cost with them. Assuming there are no restrictions

Xevross

So its just like PS+ except without the new games each month, but only half (I guess less than half now) the price. That's okay.

BananaKing

So its just like PS+ except without the new games each month, but only half (I guess less than half now) the price. That's okay.
No. You only get online on one account if you pay 20$. Not one system, but one account.

For more accounts (that can be on multiple systems) you have to pay 35$.

They didn't mention size of the cloud save either, PS4 gives you 10GB.  (Which IMO they should increase soon).

Legend

No. You only get online on one account if you pay 20$. Not one system, but one account.

They didn't mention size of the cloud save either, PS4 gives you 10GB.  (Which IMO they should increase soon).
Having the split between single and multiple accounts is both stingy and smart. It'll really depend on how it's implemented.

Although it kinda feels like they decided to raise the price after announcing $20 and thus created these tiers.

PS4 cloud saves should be on a per game level. IE every game has ~1GB for its own saves.

It'll be interesting to see the finer details once this launches. It's pretty low quality compared to the competition but it's also about half the price. Personally it seems not worth it in the current state and I don't plan to subscribe.

BananaKing

Having the split between single and multiple accounts is both stingy and smart. It'll really depend on how it's implemented.

Although it kinda feels like they decided to raise the price after announcing $20 and thus created these tiers.

PS4 cloud saves should be on a per game level. IE every game has ~1GB for its own saves.

It'll be interesting to see the finer details once this launches. It's pretty low quality compared to the competition but it's also about half the price. Personally it seems not worth it in the current state and I don't plan to subscribe.
I agree it feels like they just wanted to increase the price after announcing the 20$ price point.

The 20 NES game is a joke. Those are almost 40 years old now.

Xevross

Oh that's a good point, although it doesn't matter to me at all.

Yeah the PS4 cloud save size isn't quite big enough, but I won't have anywhere near as many Switch games so 10GB would be fine for me.

I'll probably subscribe if I want to play games online, but I barely play Nintendo games online so I don't think I will.