What did you think of PSASBR and do you want a 2?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 05, 2018, 03:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

DerNebel

The initial complaints may have come from the similarities to Smash but what ultimately killed the games was that Sony clearly wasn't willing to go the whole nine yards to make this game a success, plus it apparently really wasn't all that great either.

Just looking at the roster of the first game tells you all that you need to know, cause it's freaking terrible from a marketing point of view. Crash, Spyro, Snake and Cloud should have been among the first characters to make it in the game, they should have been top priority. But even beyond that there are so many obvious misses in that lineup it's insane.

Where's the Resident Evil representation?
Tomb Raider?
Kingdom Hearts?

If you want to make a Playstation cross over brawler then you need to have something better to put on your box than Fat Princess, a character that about 99% of gamers, even on Playstation have no freaking connection to.

Also the original game was ugly as sin, so a sequel would desperately need to improve on that front.

So if they can make the game look more pleasing and if they are actually willing to invest into getting the right characters, then I would possibly give a sequel to this a go.

Oh and another thing imo they can't just stuff a game like this full with realistic looking humans, which is an inherent problem that I feel stands between Sony's franchises and a crossover brawler.

Smash is inherently silly and it works, because Nintendo's characters are mostly cartoony, so it's easier to just go with an idea like Smash. A crossover brawler filled largely with characters, who the developers of their original games want to be "realistic", is just a way harder thing to properly execute. For instance I have a hard time imagining Joel & Ellie in a game like this as anything but freaking weird.

Legend

The initial complaints may have come from the similarities to Smash but what ultimately killed the games was that Sony clearly wasn't willing to go the whole nine yards to make this game a success, plus it apparently really wasn't all that great either.

Just looking at the roster of the first game tells you all that you need to know, cause it's freaking terrible from a marketing point of view. Crash, Spyro, Snake and Cloud should have been among the first characters to make it in the game, they should have been top priority. But even beyond that there are so many obvious misses in that lineup it's insane.

Where's the Resident Evil representation?
Tomb Raider?
Kingdom Hearts?

If you want to make a Playstation cross over brawler then you need to have something better to put on your box than Fat Princess, a character that about 99% of gamers, even on Playstation have no freaking connection to.

Also the original game was ugly as sin, so a sequel would desperately need to improve on that front.

So if they can make the game look more pleasing and if they are actually willing to invest into getting the right characters, then I would possibly give a sequel to this a go.

Oh and another thing imo they can't just stuff a game like this full with realistic looking humans, which is an inherent problem that I feel stands between Sony's franchises and a crossover brawler.

Smash is inherently silly and it works, because Nintendo's characters are mostly cartoony, so it's easier to just go with an idea like Smash. A crossover brawler filled largely with characters, who the developers of their original games want to be "realistic", is just a way harder thing to properly execute. For instance I have a hard time imagining Joel & Ellie in a game like this as anything but freaking weird.
It really needed more content and more of Sony's weight behind it. Half the characters were only included to promote new games.

A new one lucks out because Crash is back. He was the most demanded character and almost all discussion about the roster included his omission. Sony could most likely get Spyro now as well, thanks to the remaster.

Graphics/art style are hard but I think the newer Smashes deal with it too.
Image result for super smash bros snake
Image result for super smash bros 4 cloud
Image result for super smash bros 4 ryu
Image result for super smash bros 4 bayonetta

Go Up