What did you think of PSASBR and do you want a 2?

Started by the-pi-guy, May 05, 2018, 03:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Some of the game aspects of PSASBR had a mix of people liking it and disliking it.  

The biggest problem that I had with the game was a lack of content.  There were only 20 characters and that included 2 versions of Cole from inFamous.  
Super Smash Bros Brawl has an immense amount of content.  Plenty of characters, tons and tons of collectibles, even unlockable games!  

One of the more mixed aspects of the game was requiring special attacks for KO's.  I personally liked it because it required every player to be active in the fight.  Whereas in SSB, it's pretty much a reasonable strategy to stay back from the fight and strike when people are getting weak.  

There's been plenty of rumors of a PSASBR2, and personally I'd be excited if it came true.  Even if there isn't necessarily more content, it was still a pretty fun game and I would look forward to playing it again.  

So what do you think of these aspects of the game?  Was there anything else you really didn't like or really did like?  

And how would you feel about PSASBR 2?  

Xevross

Never played it, or even seen any gameplay of it before.

Dr. Pezus

Nintendo fanboy REconfirmed

the-pi-guy

Wut.  

The.

Heck.

Is.  

This.

?.

Noobiness confirmed.  

Now that I've had time to calm down.  Have you played smash Bros?  

If not: seek help.  

If yes: what would you like to see from a PS Smash Bros.  

Xevross

Wut.  

The.

Heck.

Is.  

This.

?.

Noobiness confirmed.  
Now that I've had time to calm down.  Have you played smash Bros?  

If not: seek help.  

If yes: what would you like to see from a PS Smash Bros.  
I know what it is. And yes, I've played smash bros, which is the precisely the reason I have no need for PSASBR in my life.

the-pi-guy

May 05, 2018, 06:40 PM Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:58 PM by the-pi-guy
I know what it is. And yes, I've played smash bros, which is the precisely the reason I have no need for PSASBR in my life.
Well fine be that way.   :P

I'm doing this again.  
I think it's strange.  I always enjoyed Smash Bros and was always thrilled by the idea of having a PS version.  It's fun to play as your favorite characters against some of your other favorites.  

Legend

Great OP and yeah the lack of content was the big problem imo too.

Loved the game and would love a sequel. The stages were so great and they really went toe to toe with smash on some of them

(wow the game needs a PS4 remaster)

I also loved the characters. Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Nathan Drake, Big Daddy, Sackboy, Kat, Zeus, and Isaac Clarke were all really fun to play as.

PSASBR wishlist

Fighters:
Kratos
Parappa
Fat Princess
Sweet Tooth
Radec
Sly Cooper
Drake
Cole Macgrath (just one)
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Big Daddy
Nariko
Raiden
Sackboy
Sir Daniel
Toro
Kat
Isaac Clarke

New characters:
Kratos+Boy (fight as a team, separate from regular kratos)
Aloy
Joel
Ellie
Geralt
Noctis
Lara Croft
Knack
Kutaro
Journey person
Wanderer from SOTC
Destiny fighter
Punished Snake
Bloodborne hunter

the-pi-guy

^that'd make an awesome character list.

I was inspired to make this because I saw your Resetera post . ;D

Legend

^that'd make an awesome character list.

I was inspired to make this because I saw your Resetera post . ;D
I assumed as much.

Legend

I'm feeling way too much psasbr nostalgia right now. Watching some youtube tournaments.

Also I never noticed the first Smash has a 79 on metacritic. PSASBR 2 could be like melee and make it great.

Xevross

Well fine be that way.   :P
I'm doing this again.  
I think it's strange.  I always enjoyed Smash Bros and was always thrilled by the idea of having a PS version.  It's fun to play as your favorite characters against some of your other favorites.  
Well back then I didn't care about pretty much any of the PSASBR characters, so I just didn't care at all. I only heard about it quite a while after release, I didn't have a ps3 anymore.

I agree though it is fun to play as favourite characters against other favourites, that's one reason why smash bros was fun  ;)

Legend

May 06, 2018, 05:20 PM Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 05:26 PM by Legend
The first game was doomed with "smash clone" talk. Everyone complained it was like smash and everyone complained it wasn't close enough to smash simultaneously.

A sequel wouldn't have to deal with that as much since now it'd be compared to the first one as well.

Oh and we'd need 2B in a new one.

the-pi-guy

The first game was doomed with "smash clone" talk. Everyone complained it was like smash and everyone complained it wasn't close enough to smash simultaneously.
So true it almost hurts.  

How do you feel about requiring special attacks?  

darkknightkryta

Yeah, how dare a game be like a very good game.  We should all shame on Mortal Kombat and Fatal Fury.

Now with that said, Sony should never have used Smash Bros as a template.  They should have used this as one instead:

Legend

So true it almost hurts.  

How do you feel about requiring special attacks?  
The gameplay in PSASBR was problematic imo because it was cool and offered interesting dynamics for pro players but felt counterintuitive.

Special attacks were awesome imo since they allowed a fight to really evolve. Fighting a person with no super vs fighting someone with meter at level 2 felt different. Also it was cool how each of the three levels were different and you had to weigh the pros and cons of going for each super.

Problem of course with special attacks was that they made regular attacks feel weak and poor. You just kinda bonk each other until the meter fills up. In Smash and other games every percentage point matters while in this game it's binary: the attack either kills them or it doesn't. It doesn't feel good working up to a super attack only to get zero benefit from it, and that happens a ton during PSASBR matches.

Also the AP system made defense feel pointless. It didn't directly hurt you so only players thinking about the meta would care about its importance. I think this was the biggest problem with the game's mechanics. On one hand it made throws important since that was the only way to decrease another player's AP, but it still didn't feel the best when playing.

I think it could have been improved by keeping the supers but adding a traditional health system. Every attack would still generate AP but it would also do damage to the other player. If they get to zero health they die, and super attacks are insta kills regardless of health. Sadly this would have hurt high level play and made it more generic, but it probably would have greatly improved the experience for casual players.