Rank this gens E3 presentations

Started by Legend, May 02, 2018, 06:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

100% they're bigger imo. MHW is a multiplat and SOTC is a remake. To be honest though I personally didn't think MHW was a big thing so I'm sure that's clouding my judgement. I think I made jokes in the live thread that it was time for a bathroom break  ::)

I am a bit hypocritical aren't I?  :P

2016 was incredible for first party announcements yet I also put it kinda low on my list. I'm interested to see how this year goes. If they have no announcements but go all in on the games it could still be really good. Nintendo had nothing but Zelda in 2016 and yet I thought they won E3 that year.
I think its close. MHW is a bigger game and a bigger series than Bloodborne, but Bloodborne being exclusive balances it out. LBP3 was trash, and also wasn't made by media molecule so it was a total let down. At least SotC was high quality for a lot of people. Without that hindsight though, you probably would give LBP3 a slight edge. But I think MHW+ SOTC is only slightly behind Bloodborne and LBP3. The other announcements from 2014 are quite a bit better than the others from 2017 though, which is why 14' takes it.

Big fat nasty hypocrite! :D

Yeah I liked 2016 a lot, its just the weird going back to Days Gone ending left a nasty taste in the mouth straight after it. Looking back, I love 2016.

As I said in the other thread, I think if the 4 games Sony are pushing all show amazingly well then they'll still have a great show. Pretty much everyone in the gaming world is dying to see gameplay of TLOU2 and Death Stranding. If we get it people will be happy. PS fans are also super pumped about Ghost, and if that shows well we'll love it. Spiderman will be huge, and its already shown well so just an epic trailer will sell it.

I think even that would put it just above 2017 if they get it right. Then throw in a couple of announcements around that with some third parties like COD and they have a great show.

I'll probs make my sony prediction in a bit

Legend

hindsight
I like judging the shows based off how they felt at the time, not how good the games turned out. Otherwise Microsoft 2014 would have to be at the bottom of the list since all those games were cancelled except Crackdown 3.

Going back to Days Gone was poor imo because the initial trailer announcement was so lackluster. All of us had forgot about that game by then. If it was something big like TLOU2 it could have been pretty cool.

Gameplay could be great, but Sony needs to make it great! GOW 2016 demos for each game would be awesome while Horizon 2016 demos would be meh.

I don't understand the need for Spiderman. Last year's demo was more or less what the trailers made us expect. I feel like it's comparable to Days Gone in the sense that we already understand and know what the game is, so imo it'd take a really stellar demo for it to be a highlight of the show.

Yup we're getting close to final predictions time!

Xevross

I like judging the shows based off how they felt at the time, not how good the games turned out. Otherwise Microsoft 2014 would have to be at the bottom of the list since all those games were cancelled except Crackdown 3.

Going back to Days Gone was poor imo because the initial trailer announcement was so lackluster. All of us had forgot about that game by then. If it was something big like TLOU2 it could have been pretty cool.

Gameplay could be great, but Sony needs to make it great! GOW 2016 demos for each game would be awesome while Horizon 2016 demos would be meh.

I don't understand the need for Spiderman. Last year's demo was more or less what the trailers made us expect. I feel like it's comparable to Days Gone in the sense that we already understand and know what the game is, so imo it'd take a really stellar demo for it to be a highlight of the show.

Yup we're getting close to final predictions time!
Yeah that's how I judge them too. Microsoft 2014 is by far the biggest offender, yeah. What a shitshow ;D

Yeah I know, we thought the one last thing would be something new but it was just days gone. It should have been after the gameplay, it was so dumb.

Uhuh, if they can all be Horizon 2015/ Uncharted 4 2015/ GoW 2016 level then that'd be fantastic and it would be a great show already. Going further back, Uncharted 2 was also a fantastic gameplay reveal. They know how to do it, so lets hope they nail it.

Spiderman is too big to miss out, and its only a couple of months away. They'll want to hype it up big time for sure. That's why I predicted a trailer for Spiderman. Days Gone will be at PSX in a big way, similar situation.

Xevross

I just remembered that Sony did have that pre-show last year. That had some announcements in it and some cool stuff. If you put those two together it'd be quite highly ranked, imo.

And I'm pretty sure that's what you did with Nintendo e3 2016 Legend, so if you don't like it you're a hypocrite again! That is, unless its so high just off that Zelda trailer for you :P

Legend

I just remembered that Sony did have that pre-show last year. That had some announcements in it and some cool stuff. If you put those two together it'd be quite highly ranked, imo.

And I'm pretty sure that's what you did with Nintendo e3 2016 Legend, so if you don't like it you're a hypocrite again! That is, unless its so high just off that Zelda trailer for you :P
I think the difference is from how Sony/Nintendo treat their additional content. The Sony E3 pre show and their stuff all week long is good but we'd be lying if we said the focus was on anything but the main show. IE was the pre-show aired in movie theaters last year?

Meanwhile Nintendo Treehouse has become their gameplay reveal thing. Zelda Botw had the trailer but went straight into a multi hour demo.

(Also treehouse presenters are just so good. They're involved with the games and are pretty much experts already. It's different than the news presenter/interviewer setup that Sony uses)

Xevross

I think the difference is from how Sony/Nintendo treat their additional content. The Sony E3 pre show and their stuff all week long is good but we'd be lying if we said the focus was on anything but the main show. IE was the pre-show aired in movie theaters last year?

Meanwhile Nintendo Treehouse has become their gameplay reveal thing. Zelda Botw had the trailer but went straight into a multi hour demo.

(Also treehouse presenters are just so good. They're involved with the games and are pretty much experts already. It's different than the news presenter/interviewer setup that Sony uses)
Yeah Treehouse is a lot better. But they do normally have the directs as well, 2016 they were just lacking and only did a Treehouse. So if you count it in some years but not others its a bit weird. Sony has other events and stuff too. idk, its hard to draw the line.

Legend

Yeah Treehouse is a lot better. But they do normally have the directs as well, 2016 they were just lacking and only did a Treehouse. So if you count it in some years but not others its a bit weird. Sony has other events and stuff too. idk, its hard to draw the line.
I mean the more I talk with you, the more I realise it's just a gut feeling with my order and there's nothing subjective at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Xevross

I mean the more I talk with you, the more I realise it's just a gut feeling with my order and there's nothing subjective at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol yeah I know, I'm the same. Just providing more discussion and trying to refine the rankings :P

Legend

Lol yeah I know, I'm the same. Just providing more discussion and trying to refine the rankings :P
Have you made your own list yet?

Xevross

Have you made your own list yet?
Nah I don't have time to watch them all properly right now, I'll probably do it after my exams at some point.

the-pi-guy

Will anyone ever beat Sony 2015?

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube WY1p8ZgvqYM"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WY1p8ZgvqYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div><br>No.<br>

Xevross

Will anyone ever beat Sony 2015?

Spoiler for Hidden:

No.

In terms of that scale of reaction I think not. For the people like those who were super excited and happy about those reactions anyway. For me, I don't have much interest in those games at all, maybe just FF7R so it could be easily beaten for me. In fact, 2016 probably did it.

Legend

Yeah 2015 also had Horizon which had a great reveal. So amazing that that game was a footnote for most people yet would be a megaton reveal nowadays.

Go Up