Is Demon Souls the most influential game of the past decade?

Started by Legend, May 01, 2018, 05:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Not only did it create its own genre, but it also has influenced many other genres to move closer to its design.

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Nioh
Lords of the Fallen
Salt and Sanctuary

Then you have games that seem to be influenced by it.

Botw
GOW (2018)
Ashen
Below

the-pi-guy

Probably.  
One game I would pitch in, but a lot of people will probably disagree is Uncharted 2.  

There's a few games that I think Uncharted 2 laid the groundwork for.  The Last of Us (which is arguable since it's just by the same company), The Order, a few others:

A Splinter Cell game
Killzone 3

Maybe not as noticeably as Demon's Souls did, but I think the game started up a trend (or probably was one of the first).

But I remember reading an article for the E3 in 2010 (actually I think it was 2011), and it was talking about how so many games there were so clearly taking elements from Uncharted 2.

BananaKing

Actually I'm gonna say The Witcher 3. That has become the standard of open world games and it definitely influenced games like assassin's creed, Horizon and other games.

Legend

Actually I'm gonna say The Witcher 3. That has become the standard of open world games and it definitely influenced games like assassin's creed, Horizon and other games.
How has Witcher 3 influenced games beyond pushing them to be better?

Xevross

How has Witcher 3 influenced games beyond pushing them to be better?
This. All its done is influenced side quest style/ quality plus a few other small things. TW3 is nowhere near as influential as something like Demon's Souls.

Man, Modern Warfare was 11 years ago now so I can't even say that.

BananaKing

May 02, 2018, 10:37 AM Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:40 AM by BananaKing
This. All its done is influenced side quest style/ quality plus a few other small things. TW3 is nowhere near as influential as something like Demon's Souls.

Man, Modern Warfare was 11 years ago now so I can't even say that.
It influenced every open world RPG or action game with RPG elements.

But I'm actually gonna go with Pi and say Uncharted 2 now. It influenced story telling, cinematics, and pretty much a lot of genres with what it did. And it's effects are still felt today.

ethomaz

It influenced a lot more games...