Polygon: Microsoft is looking into acquiring EA says reliable source close to Microsoft (and others)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2018, 11:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Polygon: Microsoft is looking into acquiring EA says reliable source close to Microsoft (and others) | ResetEra

Some of the names being thrown around as possible acquisitions by Microsoft are, frankly, astounding, even unthinkable. But the fact that they are doing the rounds is instructive. The most recent one we heard (from a reliable source close to Microsoft) was, in fact, Electronic Arts. We also heard a whisper about Valve and about Korean outfit PUBG Corp., which Microsoft last year signed to a timed exclusive for its hit survival shooter, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.Click to expand...
Only bolding the EA one because it's from a reliable source close to Microsoft (making it the most important and carries a lot more weight) while the other ones are "whispers".  Source: https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930892/xbox-one-exclusive-games-analysis-microsoft  

Dr. Pezus

Yeah, right lol. They aren't even willing to invest in their own games. How would they come up with the billions needed to buy EA?

Legend

Even if someone with a history of reporting these scoops said this, I wouldn't believe it.

EA is a freaking huge company. Buying them would cost more than any purchase in Microsoft history. No bloody way would it happen under current circumstances.

DerNebel

The pure thought of this happening freaks me out (and it would freak me out if the rumor was about Sony or Nintendo buying EA as well). The only way that I can see something like this not majorly crippling the market in some way is if it came along with MS getting out of the platform business.

Any other scenario and this would be nothing but a move aiming straight at creating a monopoly. I mean even if they decide to keep the games multiplat, how is there supposed to be any proper competition if the power balance between the two competitors is this off?

Seriously this would be terrible.

Cute Pikachu

Jan 30, 2018, 01:16 PM Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018, 01:18 PM by Cute Pikachu
Well I guess that's one way to sell better in Europe, just flat out buy FIFA exclusively. This move is terrifying for the industry as a whole.
Microsoft would have sole control of
Madden
FIFA
Mass Effect
Anthem
Battlefield
Dragon Age
Star Wars for the current deal
I don't believe it, why would they be hesitant in expanding game studios and shutting down a few then. EA is a massive company and running all those studios would be awfully expensive.
Can't they just build their own studios? Like would this be necessary?
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Mmm_fish_tacos

Even if true i doubt it would go though. I dont think the FTC would allow it. Even if it did fifa and madden would still have to be made multiplatform due to contract agreements.

nnodley

Yeah in no way should any gaming consumer want this to happen.

All sports games and star wars would always be multiplatform for ever.  

Also the PUBG corp one is not happening. ZHuge on Era said it was potentially going to happen, but did not.

darkknightkryta

Jan 30, 2018, 06:10 PM Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018, 08:05 PM by darkknightkryta
Depends how desperate Microsoft is.  Bill Gates did offer more money than Nintendo couldn't possibly make in 30-40 years.  Though Nintendo turned it down.  Considering how many billions Microsoft burned on the Xbox One launch.  That money could have been put to buying EA. Which is why I'd believe it if Microsoft announced this acquisition. I don't think they'd make their titles exclusive though.  Just like what happened with Minecraft. With that said, I'm surprised Microsoft didn't destroy Minecraft's devs yet like they did all the other studios they bought.

Xevross

Well it seems MS is heading to be more towards trying to be the netflix of video games than trying to be a top platform holder. If they got EA they could make game pass into something with incredible value.

I don't see it happening though.

Legend

Well it seems MS is heading to be more towards trying to be the netflix of video games than trying to be a top platform holder. If they got EA they could make game pass into something with incredible value.

I don't see it happening though.
I don't think a netflix like approach would work for video games, at least anytime soon. Gamepass will just make playing lots of games cheaper, but Netflix made TV shows more accessible and removed commercials. Tons of its success came from people that otherwise just pirated the content.

If gamepass removed microtransactions and made all the DLC free too, then it could be more like a Netflix of gaming but I don't think any publisher would want to risk their profits for that. Instead gamepass feels like just a way to push microtransactions even harder.