October Progress Report: VizionEck Cube Royale

Started by Legend, Oct 03, 2017, 06:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I've been sick and had to scale back how much I worked for a few weeks. Nevertheless, some important progress was still made.

The programing has been finished on VizionEck's new menu system. It's a semi-skeuomorphic design that makes the game feel less like isolated matches and more like a single whole. More work is needed to populate this new menu but it's coming along nicely.

Multiple tutorials were created, only to be thrown away. I've struggled a lot with figuring out the best way to teach players how to play. My approaches either end up too simplified and abstract or too detailed and overwhelming. It's really important to have a great tutorial because if players don't manage a single kill in their first matches, they're very likely to lose interest and give up on the game.

AI development might be fast tracked to help with this. If players first fight against a series of increasingly skilled AI enemies, it could help prepare them for online battles. Developing the AI will be a huge undertaking so I'm still not sure I want to include this before release.

The physics engine now supports moving level objects. If a player stands on a moving platform, they now move with the platform. This took a while to sort out because there are a lot of different methods I could have used. The current implementation is to give all potentially moving objects a velocity calculating script. When a player touches or almost touches an object, the velocity script is activated and on the next frame can begin calculating its velocity. Once the player stops touching the object, the velocity script is de-activated. This is way more efficient than having all objects always calculate their velocity and more foolproof than assuming velocity based off collision force.

Reports: June July August September

SWORDF1SH

Sounds like you still put in a good shift even while you were ill. Nice work Mikey!