Update on the current state of VizionEck Cube Royale

Started by Legend, Jun 09, 2017, 04:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Exactly 1 month ago I made a general post about the game's status, so here's the progress I've made since then.

I'm just starting the process of switching over to Unity's network transport layer, instead of using their default networking setup. It gives me a lot more freedom and control over how the networking works. That will save a ton of time and probably produce better results.

The HUD was rebuilt from scratch. I dropped all my procedural generation stuff and am just doing it the old fashioned way. Makes it much faster to work on. Still needs some work to polish the edges, but now it's in a state I'd feel comfortable showing. Almost used it as the blog post instead!

Graphics have received the most work. I completely redesigned the look of one of the REDACTED and worked a lot on the visuals of shooting things. I implemented a custom rendering engine similar to Dreams' hoping it would work great for a specific effect but it didn't. All that work will go unused, except for with an easter egg maybe. Instead I decided to go with a different custom method using Unity's low level graphics library. This is working wonderfully well and is incredibly performance light. Leaves a lot of room for additional optimization too.

I started working on overhauling the render process so that I could support different resolutions and settings per camera/layer, including 4k downsampling and HDR (this is needed to merge my custom rendering with Unity's rendering at max quality), but I've decided to hold off for a bit. Unity 5.6 released recently and will most likely be the software version I'll ship on, so I'll update to it once the kinks are worked out and fine tune the render process then.

Gameplay recieved some significant changes too. I reworked how damage is calculated to decrease performance needs and to support a new "feature" that makes combat feel much more fare. Air movement was redesigned to feel a million times better. Now players have momentum in the air and more strategy is involved. Also it looks less dorky than cubes magically flying around.

Next week there won't be a blog post since it's E3.

the-pi-guy

I'm very glad you reworked REDACTED.  It's about time.  I hated the look of it.  

Xevross

I agree. It was awful. AWFUL.

Good to hear its coming along well. Sounds like it should meet its 2031 release date at this rate!

Legend

He's a picture of REDACTED.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Bet you expected a picture of text saying "REDACTED"