The possibilities with VizionEck's game modes

Started by Legend, Jun 02, 2017, 06:23 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Or game types, not really sure what to call them. The deathmatch/team deathmatch things.

Anyway VizionEck potentially has a lot of them. All "things" in a match are controlled by a central class with more classes within it. If you're not familar with programing, here's an example of one of the classes VizionEck uses:

It's a variable that defines everything about a team. Then the playerTemplate is used to define every member of that team. Because every team can potentially have their own player template, it's very easy to make non symmetric modes a la Juggernaut.

Within the PlayerInfo class, there's this section of code:

Every time a player does something, it uses an EventResult to determine the results of that action. I can't show this section of code, but it has options to change basically everything in the game. The cool thing is that all these options are available for every event. If for some reason we want a game mode where collecting a powerup removes you from the rest of the match, that's a possibility.

Defining these classes is pretty straightforward:

So will all these features and modes be used in the final game? Probably not. This setup is incredibly wonderful at just letting me experiment with wacky ideas without erasing anything. "teamcolors" is a kinda stupid idea for a mode but it only took ~1 minute to prototype. I can write it off quickly instead of spending a lot of time to see if the idea has merit.

It's also wonderful for fine tuning. I can make two copies of a mode, tweak something small, and playtest them back to back without needing to rebuild the game. When VizionEck eventually launches, I should be able to update these server side instead of releasing a game patch.

Plus one of my free DLC plans is to maybe add custom game modes. This will be great for that.

SWORDF1SH

Because it's easy to experiment with different modes should we expect the game to come packaged with a lot of modes that you like?
What's your favourite mode so far?

Legend

Because it's easy to experiment with different modes should we expect the game to come packaged with a lot of modes that you like?
What's your favourite mode so far?
I'm not sure. It'll either have ~100 modes as I go crazy with cool concepts, or just a few modes to be more streamlined.

Don't have a favourite mode because right now I'm still doing a lot of general changes to see what makes fighting itself feel better. The core gameplay is very different compared to just a year ago.

I think "Spy" was my favorite concept. It's set up as a 5v3 match but a member on the larger team is a secret agent. Only the spy themselves know who they are. So the 3 person team needs to be wary going into fights. If the enemy isn't fighting back, maybe they're the spy? Or maybe they just are pretending to be the spy. Meanwhile on the 5 person team you'd never trust your teammates. Is the person behind you going to suddenly start attacking?

This was back when VizionEck was more FPS like though. I'll need to reevaluate it and all my other concepts to see how they fit with the "new and improved" combat system.

SWORDF1SH

I'm not sure. It'll either have ~100 modes as I go crazy with cool concepts, or just a few modes to be more streamlined.

Don't have a favourite mode because right now I'm still doing a lot of general changes to see what makes fighting itself feel better. The core gameplay is very different compared to just a year ago.

I think "Spy" was my favorite concept. It's set up as a 5v3 match but a member on the larger team is a secret agent. Only the spy themselves know who they are. So the 3 person team needs to be wary going into fights. If the enemy isn't fighting back, maybe they're the spy? Or maybe they just are pretending to be the spy. Meanwhile on the 5 person team you'd never trust your teammates. Is the person behind you going to suddenly start attacking?

This was back when VizionEck was more FPS like though. I'll need to reevaluate it and all my other concepts to see how they fit with the "new and improved" combat system.
I like that concept. I can't wait to stab banana in the back.

Legend

This over-engineering has come in handy!

The new Cube Royale gameplay has a heck of a lot more going on and all the variables are in a single list. I can very easily balance everything in the game and see exactly how all the values compare to each other.