A 4D video game?

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Feb 27, 2018, 04:58 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Viewing the 3D rendering is still an unsolved problem.

I don't like that smaller images are darker. It's like if the game was played in fog.

I essentially have a minecraft map with 256x256x256 voxels and I need some way to let the player see every voxel. Like seeing every single underground block in minecraft.

1 option is to break up the data and not present it as a regular image. This would be stuff like showing it as a bunch of side by side slices or using a space filling curve to map every voxel to a screen pixel.
Pros:
No loss of information
All data easily visible

Cons:
Requires teaching the brain how to use
Not natural or intuitive

2 option is to make all the voxels transparent and slightly glowing so that you can just look at them.
Pros:
Makes 4D really simple to understand
Cons:
Screen can become a useless mess of color
Needs to be in VR/3D or else you can't judge depth/ana and kata location

Essentially it seems the 2nd option is great if you want to pause the game and move the 3D camera to check out the scene but both options are poor if you're only moving the 4D camera.

I really hope I can figure out something better. Both can be supported but I think an enhanced version of option 2 might be possible. Make it have "solid" pixels for specific objects. Would be less information but would make it even more intuitive and simple to understand.