Nintendo FY14 Q1 (0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss)

Started by ethomaz, Jul 30, 2014, 03:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Max King of the Wild

Well yeah, the fundamental difference between WiiU and PS3 though is that retailers want to stock a lot of PS3s because people buy it. With WiiU there is no guarantee

With it selling  ~50k/week I'd say 500k on shelves does sound about right

But the retailers aren't keeping low supply of the system. They get more before running low. They just don't flip them as fast and stock sits around. If each target has 10 in stock (that's low) then that's 20k in Na alone in one chain. So those ten will sit around and then they sell through 6 in a month. They will get those 6 back before the other 4 sell. Again, there is a min amount retailers will be able to have before being supply constrained. If each store has 2 units you'd see a lot more sell outs. (hell even 4 or 6).

Xevross

This looks terrible compared to sony now.

Dr. Pezus

But the retailers aren't keeping low supply of the system. They get more before running low. They just don't flip them as fast and stock sits around. If each target has 10 in stock (that's low) then that's 20k in Na alone in one chain. So those ten will sit around and then they sell through 6 in a month. They will get those 6 back before the other 4 sell. Again, there is a min amount retailers will be able to have before being supply constrained. If each store has 2 units you'd see a lot more sell outs. (hell even 4 or 6).

Yeah I mean they don't hold as many U's as 3's. Certainly in Europe. I rarely even see WiiU's on shelves here, sometimes just 1 or 2. PS3s are stocked in the truck loads.

darkknightkryta

They actually made less revenue compared to last year despite WiiU sales being massively up (in %) and MK8 selling a lot.

Nintendo's business has always relied on handheld profits.  With the 3DS not pushing software this past quarter (That Tomadachi life should add to Nintendo's bottom line next quarter) this is causing less revenue.  Nintendo relied on third party shovelware pushing software on the GBA and DS for too long.  They're literally paying the consequences of not adapting.

Go Up