Wired begins blocking ad blockers

Started by Legend, Feb 09, 2016, 05:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

How WIRED Is Going to Handle Ad Blocking | WIRED

Can support the site by viewing ads, pay $1 a week to get zero ads, or just not go to wired any more.

Personally I think it's great. More websites need to make options for ad-block users VS just adding more ads for regular users.

kitler53

How WIRED Is Going to Handle Ad Blocking | WIRED

Can support the site by viewing ads, pay $1 a week to get zero ads, or just not go to wired any more.

Personally I think it's great. More websites need to make options for ad-block users VS just adding more ads for regular users.
i don't love using ad-blockers but sites like vgchartz (and some of the places google.news sends me) just make it required.  i can't have a site blasting a video/audio ad over my headphones at max volume.  i literally removed my bookmark to vgchartz on my ipad because it impossible to navigate.

but i'll wager either ad-block changes things to get around this or wired loses their viewership.  you'll probably say something along the lines of they aren't contributing but i think if their hits drops significantly google's algorithm will drop their relevancy soo much that it will even affect their "paying" user base when nothing links to them.  g'luck with this but i think it will hurt you.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

i don't love using ad-blockers but sites like vgchartz (and some of the places google.news sends me) just make it required.  i can't have a site blasting a video/audio ad over my headphones at max volume.  i literally removed my bookmark to vgchartz on my ipad because it impossible to navigate.

but i'll wager either ad-block changes things to get around this or wired loses their viewership.  you'll probably say something along the lines of they aren't contributing but i think if their hits drops significantly google's algorithm will drop their relevancy soo much that it will even affect their "paying" user base when nothing links to them.  g'luck with this but i think it will hurt you.
Yup vgchartz ads were horrible for a while so I just stopped going there.

I'm not sure blocking ad block users is the right thing, but it's at least better than what 99% of sites do. "Oh people are blocking ads so we lose money? Better show more ads to everyone else." That mentality is what really caused ad block to become so widespread.

I don't think it'd be possible for ad-block to get around this. On here I detect ad-block by just having js wait a second and check if ads are loaded, but they probably detect it through the analytics ads collect.

Aura7541

i don't love using ad-blockers but sites like vgchartz (and some of the places google.news sends me) just make it required.  i can't have a site blasting a video/audio ad over my headphones at max volume.  i literally removed my bookmark to vgchartz on my ipad because it impossible to navigate.

but i'll wager either ad-block changes things to get around this or wired loses their viewership.  you'll probably say something along the lines of they aren't contributing but i think if their hits drops significantly google's algorithm will drop their relevancy soo much that it will even affect their "paying" user base when nothing links to them.  g'luck with this but i think it will hurt you.
I use Refine on my iPhone. Whatever sites I do not want to use Refine on, I put them on the whitelist.

ethomaz

You lost me before I started.