Why do you not use the game database?

Started by Legend, Oct 01, 2018, 09:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'm interested in your feedback and maybe it'll bring up some good discussion on a slow Monday afternoon.

I think only one member besides myself has used it within the past few months. Not a problem but it'd be nice if we figured out what was needed to make it more active.

BananaKing

I don't know what it's for, I don't know what it's benefit is, and I don't know how to use it.

the-pi-guy

I just don't tend to use databases.  
I know it makes me a bad programmer, but I don't really care.  

Xevross

I used to use it to keep track of my games and rating but I just use an excel sheet instead now. So much more functionality.

Legend

Oct 02, 2018, 01:30 AM Last Edit: Oct 02, 2018, 01:33 AM by Legend
I don't know what it's for, I don't know what it's benefit is, and I don't know how to use it.
It's for tracking games. I really like using it as a wishlist since it makes it easy to keep track of all the older games I haven't purchased yet. I also like it for tracking my backlog. Sure both of these things could be done with a piece of paper or memory, but it's nice having everything in one place and easy to see.

Also it can be fun to see what games other users are interested in or search the database to find new games you're interested in.

Your profile is here and all the games are here. I've mostly just built it for my own use atm but I think most of it is easy to figure out.
I just don't tend to use databases.  
I know it makes me a bad programmer, but I don't really care.  
I wonder if it's because of building this forum, but I love databases haha. Every time I have any sort of thing I'm always shoehorning it into a database.

I used to use it to keep track of my games and rating but I just use an excel sheet instead now. So much more functionality.
What features do you use from Excel?

I doubt I could implement them or make our database as user friendly but it'd still be nice to know.

Xevross

What features do you use from Excel?

I doubt I could implement them or make our database as user friendly but it'd still be nice to know.
I have each game in a list with the year I played them, the year they came out, the platform I played them on, the main platform they first released on, my rating for them, metacritic's rating and the difference between mine and meta's rating.

And then using excel formulas I have a list of each year with the number of games I played that year, the average metascore and my score for games that year, how many games were 90+, my GOTY and the meta GOTY. I have this setup for both release year of games and years I played games in. Also have a similar thing for each platform, how many games played on each, average score from me and meta.

Legend

I have each game in a list with the year I played them, the year they came out, the platform I played them on, the main platform they first released on, my rating for them, metacritic's rating and the difference between mine and meta's rating.

And then using excel formulas I have a list of each year with the number of games I played that year, the average metascore and my score for games that year, how many games were 90+, my GOTY and the meta GOTY. I have this setup for both release year of games and years I played games in. Also have a similar thing for each platform, how many games played on each, average score from me and meta.
That's really cool!

I remember how amazed I was when I first learned that Excel was so powerful. My highschool teacher had us calculate riemann sums and in college I used it to write programs.

Xevross

That's really cool!

I remember how amazed I was when I first learned that Excel was so powerful. My highschool teacher had us calculate riemann sums and in college I used it to write programs.
Yeah excel is awesome, I used to have fun just messing around with it in IT class because I always finished early :P