VizionEck Cube Royale OT: the phantom game

Started by Legend, Mar 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Mar 12, 2018, 11:09 PM Last Edit: Nov 14, 2018, 06:36 AM by Legend
Cube Royale is a fighting/shooting game. You should be hyped! Play as a robotic cube and destroy other cubes by shooting lightning.

It's basically super smash bros but instead of having interesting characters, you play as a cube. And it's 3D.

ATTACKS!
Cubes can attack using four different weapon modes, and each shot can be charged into a heavy attack.

WHITE

Shoots a concentrated blast of lightning directly forward.

GREEN

The only weapon that fires continuously for a short duration. Shoots lightning bolts in rapid fire.

RED

Shoots a condensed ball of energy that explodes into a blast of lightning when detonated.

BLUE

Places a small packet of energy on the opposite wall and shoots a lightning bolt back towards the player.

DEFENSE!

Cubes can bring up directional shields at a moments notice. Players can sacrifice shield quality to defend from more directions.

JUMPING!

Cubes have thrusters capable of short bursts. This allows them to double-jump, triple-jump, and even infinite-jump if executed correctly. Most importantly, cubes have thrusters on their sides allowing them to redirect their velocity with every jump. With a ping-pong like pattern, cubes can build up immense speed and move at 100s of miles per hour.

THE MONOLITH

Present in every map and the source of all energy.

LOCK ON

Even though Cube Royale is technically a first-person shooting game, it's wrong to think of it as part of the FPS genre. The cubes have advanced targeting systems and can lock onto enemies with near-perfect accuracy and aiming is done with this system. In some situations it's beneficial to shoot without being locked-on but this is not the standard method of play.

RESPAWN

Every level has cube dispensers ready and waiting for your death. Assume command of a new body and go straight back into the fight, or preview the scene and sneak up on nearby enemies. Until you move your new body, it looks exactly like an unused cube.

VOID

A map that lets players focus on the raw game mechanics. Void is a large empty playground.

Yes this is the game's official thread! AKA a replacement of the old VizionEck thread. I'll spend some time improving it.

SWORDF1SH

I can't wait to play Cube Royale. This game oozes originality.
Ok I want Adventure more, but bring on Cube deathmatches.

Legend

I can't wait to play Cube Royale. This game oozes originality.
Ok I want Adventure more, but bring on Cube deathmatches.
Thanks!

It's an odd game that has practically no market but I'm proud of what it has become. Now I just need to finish it. And thanks for the thread name ::)

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Screenshot that I teased here. Has the unfinished HUD.

SWORDF1SH

Screenshot that I teased here. Has the unfinished HUD.
That's a pretty striking screenshot. I like the contrast of the 2 different art styles.

And thanks for the thread name ::)
No problem!

Legend

I've added more images to the OP. It seems to be coming together nicely.

the-pi-guy

Neat!  We're revving up!  

Legend

Neat!  We're revving up!  
Yeah I figure this place is so small and ya'll are friends so there isn't a need to keep the lead up to the re-reveal private. #spoilers  ::)

Dr. Pezus

Cool screens and I like the new info. Looking forward to some gameplay!

SWORDF1SH

The new screens look amazing. It's a big leap from what we saw previously.

the-pi-guy

Wifey is really impressed with the progress.  :D

I think it looks pretty good. ;D

Legend

Cool screens and I like the new info. Looking forward to some gameplay!
The new screens look amazing. It's a big leap from what we saw previously.
I hate doing art so I'm glad you both like it. I'd just prototype designs randomly and see which parts looked decent (joking but not really).

Xevross

Oh yeah the game looks a hell of a lot better now!

Legend

Next up, need a proper logo.

First though, am I 100% certain "VizionEck Cube Royale" is the name to go with? One thing I've been worried about is the explosion in popularity of "battle royale" games. That genre used to refer to fighting games like Smash or PSASBR, but now it's been co-opted to mean 100 person fight to the death.

If you were to hear "cube royale" as a game title without any context, would you assume it was battle royale but with cubes? Or would you just get the general impression that it's some sort of fight with cubes?

Go Up