VizionEck Cube Royale OT: the phantom game

Started by Legend, Mar 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Saving the two best for last.  /s

What about just the V for in game?
Nice job thinking of that. On one hand adding lightning makes the logo a lot less clean, but it also makes it a lot more exciting.

Legend

With some touchup and adjustments, this might work.

the-pi-guy

Lightning is overpowering in that one.  :o

Nice job thinking of that. On one hand adding lightning makes the logo a lot less clean, but it also makes it a lot more exciting.
I like it because the lightning is a nice contrast to the turquoise.  

I don't really like tooting my own horn, but I really like this one.  
It still looks pretty clean, and I like the contrast.  

Dr. Pezus

With some touchup and adjustments, this might work.
Woah, turn down the brightness lol

Legend

Mar 14, 2018, 11:36 PM Last Edit: Mar 14, 2018, 11:40 PM by Legend
Lightning is overpowering in that one.  :o
I like it because the lightning is a nice contrast to the turquoise. 

I don't really like tooting my own horn, but I really like this one. 
It still looks pretty clean, and I like the contrast. 
Yeah that was just a raw screenshot from the game before I adjusted the color levels.

I'm starting to think I might want to keep the logo clean and not have lightning. It looks great as a screenshot, but the logo needs to be adaptable and work with everything else not compete with them.

Here's a clean logo but with 3D text. It's the one I was trying the lightning with.

(looks like word art ;) )

the-pi-guy

I like that.  Letters pop.  :o

SWORDF1SH

Looking at the logo today it looks better. It's grown on me.
If you do have lightning it would have to be 4 or 5 electric strands coming from the center point from behind the logo with no background to the lightning. Maybe have a few electric strands wrap around the front of the logo.

Legend

Unless anyone points out something I missed, I think this is the final logo. I spent all night trying completely different concepts but none of them come close to the quality of this design. My main reservations with this logo were that it didn't fit the game emotionally, but I think I've fixed that with the metallic text and slight glow. It's way less "sticker" feeling than the early versions.

Also I like that this is an unedited screenshot from the game so it's really easy to put it in there  :P

Looking at the logo today it looks better. It's grown on me.
If you do have lightning it would have to be 4 or 5 electric strands coming from the center point from behind the logo with no background to the lightning. Maybe have a few electric strands wrap around the front of the logo.
You're one of my harshest critics when it comes to naming and logos, so that's good to here!

Dr. Pezus

Unless anyone points out something I missed, I think this is the final logo. I spent all night trying completely different concepts but none of them come close to the quality of this design. My main reservations with this logo were that it didn't fit the game emotionally, but I think I've fixed that with the metallic text and slight glow. It's way less "sticker" feeling than the early versions.

Also I like that this is an unedited screenshot from the game so it's really easy to put it in there  :P
You're one of my harshest critics when it comes to naming and logos, so that's good to here!
Looks slick. I think it looks best like this, not too complicated

Legend

Mar 16, 2018, 04:35 AM Last Edit: Mar 16, 2018, 07:12 AM by Legend
Ok next up, I need AI sorted out. Can't reveal it having AI bots unless I'm confident I can make them.

The AI needs to play fair and not cheat so it's a big challenge. It needs a system that can plan ahead and use strategy while playing similar to a human. This is because I want the AI to act as a proper replacement to play against if humans can't be used.

There are a lot of systems at play during gameplay and I'm not sure how to structure it.

EDT: I think this method might work.

The AI would have a playbook full of strategies and combo like actions. These would all be evaluated on a regular basis to determine which plays are applicable to the near term situation, the potential rewards of each play, and difficulty in successfully executing the play. The best play for the situation is selected and the AI pilots the cube to try and execute the play. During this time it'd regularly check if it should abort or switch to a similar play with a different ending.

I like this idea because it'd make the AI play like a human: it'd think in familiar chunks instead of inventing combos/chains every frame. Don't have to worry about it using an exploit to win. Also could make the AI "learn" during matches which would be really awesome. If the AI failed the same move back to back it'd be trivial to stop the AI from continuing to attempt that move. Similarly if a risky move succeeded twice in a row, then the AI could keep using that move.

Legend

Spent the day working on the AI using that approach and it seems like I'll be able to manage it. Means I can semi-confidently say the game will include AI!

Now I'm moving on to audio/sound effects. I need a sound for growing the weapon cube, charging the cube, white shooting, green shooting, red shooting, red explosion, blue explosion, lightning hitting body, lightning hitting shield, body impacting solid object, jump jets, player destroyed, weapon destroyed, and some sound effects for doing good things.

Set up some of my old tesla coil stuff but even though the arcs are 12,000 volts, it had the wrong type of sound. So now I'm looking into other options.

Legend

Quick poll since we need some forum activity today  ::)

Do you think it'd be best to make the lightning sound like real lightning so a match sounds like a thunderstorm?

Or do you think the lightning should be less pronounced and not dominate the game's audio?

the-pi-guy

Are there different levels of lightning?  

If there's like two levels, then maybe you could do both.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time deciding.  Maybe not dominate audio.

Legend

Are there different levels of lightning?  

If there's like two levels, then maybe you could do both.

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time deciding.  Maybe not dominate audio.
You can hold down the attack button to do stronger attacks. Light and heavy attacks are clearly defined but you can release the button in-between for a custom medium attack.

Dr. Pezus

Quick poll since we need some forum activity today  ::)

Do you think it'd be best to make the lightning sound like real lightning so a match sounds like a thunderstorm?

Or do you think the lightning should be less pronounced and not dominate the game's audio?
Real lightning as long as it's not too loud

Go Up