Nintendo Community Thread

Started by Legend, Jul 26, 2014, 04:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

Weapon durability - awesome system, keeps you thinking about what weapons to use in what situations, encourages more tactical thinking. I've never once had a problem of running out of weapons in 120+ hours of play

Story - sure its minimal but I really like what's there

Side quests - there are some really fun ones, but mostly they are just filler to add more to do

Open world - best open world I've ever played in, its just so fun to meander around and explore. Shrines obviously give great rewards, and korok rewards are super useful

Combat - I like it a lot, its much more fun than most open world RPGs I've played (such as Skyrim, TW3), there's no skill points or anything like that but there's a good amount of depth to it.

Sure they could have added more or done some things differently but to me what is in the game is pretty much perfect and I wouldn't want to change any of it.

Also you say "really?" like its a surprising point of view when this is the best reviewed game in a long time and its very widely loved. I get that some people don't like it much but I just love it.
I say "really", because I for one consider the game to be blatantly overrated as is pretty much par for the course with Nintendos main franchises and because I secondly can list several complaints and areas that can be improved upon even in my favourite games, so I personally find it weird to hear someone say he can only list one thing he didn't like in a game.

Weapon durability is bandaid solution Nintendo thought of because they couldn't design a combat system in which weapons are actually distinct and interesting enough to use, that people want to try the different type of weapons out themselves (like for instance something like Bloodborne or MHW manage), so instead they just made weapons break constantly. It never actually made me think about what weapons to use in which situation as, like you said yourself, you never are in danger of running out of weapons anyway. It simply made me avoid combat scenarios because they would just break my gear and because they mostly didn't provide worthwile rewards anyways.

I don't want filler side quests, that area is actually one of my biggest gripe with modern games, game worlds are getting bigger and bigger but the actual content filling these games is still often not up to snuff and BotW is a prime example of exactly that. Shrines are fine, even if their quality varies a lot, but I consider the side quests mostly garbage and Korok seeds not a good way to fill the map either, I remember collecting only about a hundred of those and not even handing all of them in and still never feeling any need to acquire more equipment slots.

Xevross

I say "really", because I for one consider the game to be blatantly overrated as is pretty much par for the course with Nintendos main franchises and because I secondly can list several complaints and areas that can be improved upon even in my favourite games, so I personally find it weird to hear someone say he can only list one thing he didn't like in a game.

Weapon durability is bandaid solution Nintendo thought of because they couldn't design a combat system in which weapons are actually distinct and interesting enough to use, that people want to try the different type of weapons out themselves (like for instance something like Bloodborne or MHW manage), so instead they just made weapons break constantly. It never actually made me think about what weapons to use in which situation as, like you said yourself, you never are in danger of running out of weapons anyway. It simply made me avoid combat scenarios because they would just break my gear and because they mostly didn't provide worthwile rewards anyways.

I don't want filler side quests, that area is actually one of my biggest gripe with modern games, game worlds are getting bigger and bigger but the actual content filling these games is still often not up to snuff and BotW is a prime example of exactly that. Shrines are fine, even if their quality varies a lot, but I consider the side quests mostly garbage and Korok seeds not a good way to fill the map either, I remember collecting only about a hundred of those and not even handing all of them in and still never feeling any need to acquire more equipment slots.
Saying there's only one thing I don't like doesn't mean I don't have a long list of things I would like to see improved.

I don't think so, I think it was an intentional design from the start. The weapons are all good in different scenarios, the game just doesn't point it out to you and you have to work it out yourself. If you don't want to try the different weapons then its your own fault. Well sure, you avoid some combat scenarios if you don't think the reward will be good enough but I like that about the game. Instead of just going gung-ho and killing everything around in the world you actually need to be smart about what encounters you get into and which ones you try and sneak around instead.

Sure, the side quests in BOTW is one of the main areas I would want to see improved. I'm quite happy to have filler side quests if there are some really good ones thrown in their too, but BOTW could have had more proper fleshed out side quests. Then again, I've never been one to like side quests so much since I'm not a fan of how they distract you from the main objective, and in this regard the way BOTW deals with and treats side quests is perfect for me. I am constantly finding as many Koroks as I can so I can have lots of everything stocked. More shields means I can shield surf more, more bows mean I can have more of each type (3x shot, sniper etc.) and the more melee weapons I can hold means the more of each type I can have.

I guess BOTW is one of those games where if it clicks for you then everything just works, but if it doesn't click then things just don't work.

Legend

I guess BOTW is one of those games where if it clicks for you then everything just works, but if it doesn't click then things just don't work.
That's how I'd sum it up too since I experienced it both ways. At first I disliked weapon durability since it was annoying, then I loved it since it clicked with me, but then I disliked it again towards the end game when it started making me want to not fully explore the world.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

That's just ridiculous. How does that even happen?

Cute Pikachu

That's bad.
Anyway Super Mario Party has a 78 on metacritic so not bad.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

the-pi-guy

What am I looking at?
The green terrain just about lines up.  

Xevross

The green terrain just about lines up.  
I suppose...

the-pi-guy

r/gaming: 51,000 upvoted.

*Tries sharing*

VizionEck: what the hell is this supposed to be?  

Legend

*Tries sharing*

I enjoyed it kinda  ;D

Xevross

*Tries sharing*

The things that get loads of upvotes are kinda random sometimes. I don't think I'd have upvoted that if I saw it.

the-pi-guy

The things that get loads of upvotes are kinda random sometimes. I don't think I'd have upvoted that if I saw it.
Yeah, but you aren't the people. 
I'm trying to get upvotes from the people. 

I didn't upvote it either, but I'm not the people either.

Legend

Yeah, but you aren't the people.  
I'm trying to get upvotes from the people.  

I didn't upvote it either, but I'm not the people either.
I upvote everything  :P

Go Up