Microsoft Has Suddenly Gotten Serious With Mobile

Started by 7H3, Feb 20, 2015, 01:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/technology/personaltech/microsoft-has-suddenly-gotten-serious-with-mobile.html?_r=0
MICROSOFT is suddenly a powerful presence on my phone.

Yes, you read that right. This is the same Microsoft that spent almost a half-decade trying to offer a credible alternative to Apple's iPhone and mobile devices running Google's Android. And it's the same Microsoft that paid more than $7 billion to buy Nokia's once-mighty handset business, only to see its mobile business sink further. The company now clings precariously to a 3 percent share of new smartphone sales.
That reality has finally sunk in at Microsoft, and a new strategy is afoot. When Satya Nadella, Microsoft's chief executive, took the top job at the company about a year ago, he signaled that the company's priorities were shifting. Microsoft, he said, was in a "mobile-first, cloud-first world."

Since then, the company has brought more of its apps and services to the Apple and Android devices people actually use, rather than the ones Microsoft would like them to use -- those that run Windows.

What's even more surprising is that Microsoft's heart seems to be in the effort.
The new Outlook is not Microsoft's work, exactly. The app is mostly a rebranding of Acompli, an existing app made by a start-up that Microsoft acquired in December for $200 million. But there is no shame in using acquisitions to inject new talent and technology into a company. Facebook, Google and Amazon all employ a similar strategy.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Microsoft's new mobile display for Outlook email.Microsoft Brings Outlook to iPhone, Other Mobile DevicesJAN. 29, 2015
Microsoft has acquired Sunrise Atelier, maker of the Sunrise calendar app.Microsoft Continues Mobile Push With Sunrise AcquisitionFEB. 11, 2015
Timothy D. Cook, chief executive of Apple, speaking at a company event in October. During the company's earnings conference call on Tuesday, Mr. Cook called the quarter "historic" and the earnings "amazing."Common Sense: How, and Why, Apple Overtook MicrosoftJAN. 29, 2015

The fact that Microsoft released the new Outlook in late January, when the ink was barely dry on its Acompli deal, is a clear sign of how quickly the company feels it needs to move in the mobile business. Last week, the company bought the maker of Sunrise, a popular mobile calendar app, suggesting that Microsoft has no plans to let up on its deal-making.

I might have to download the outlook app for my work phone, and possibly personal phone soon to check them out. Very smart decision IMO
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

darkknightkryta

Hmmm Android didn't tell me to update my outlook.  Maybe Android became selfaware :o

7H3

Hmmm Android didn't tell me to update my outlook.  Maybe Android became selfaware :o

did you have outlook or OWA?

darkknightkryta

did you have outlook or OWA?

Outlook.  It was using that same shaming Metro UI that Microsoft thought looked good.

Legend

I just use the stock Android email app. Only use it to read emails anyway.

On pc outlook is nice. But again I only use it cause it's the default.

7H3

I use outlook on pc for work and love the calendar integration so I know when conference calls are and the dial in number. Probably download for my work and personal phones soon

Dr. Pezus

Legend

gmail>all

Does gmail allow other email sources?

Outlook is good because I can hook it into VizionEck mail.

7H3

gmail does yes, but I already have gmail for personal use... maybe I can set it up for work email on my iphone though

the-pi-guy

I don't use outlook or any of these email thingys. 

BasilZero

I dont use outlook personally but maybe I could? I already have a hotmail account which goes through outlook (I guess?).

Mmm_fish_tacos

I use Outlook at work, I hate It.

7H3

I tried to set up outlook on my phone but can't remember my pass whoops

Dr. Pezus

Does gmail allow other email sources?

Outlook is good because I can hook it into VizionEck mail.
Yes