I really want to complain about the Netflix Bright movie

Started by Legend, Feb 21, 2018, 06:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The world building in this movie sucked. On a technical level it's objectively horrible and my personal opinion is that it didn't have any potential to begin with. Pretty much every critic and person in real life agrees with me, yet specifically on Reddit it's really loved for its world building (hey, maybe even you really liked its world building!). So why is that?

I believe it's due to "refrigerator magnet" world building, as defined by Lindsay Ellis. Bright treats worldbuilding like tossing magnets on a refrigerator. Add a centaur magnet, add a fairy magnet, add a dragon magnet, etc. They have absolutely no impact on the world and are just lazily slapped on the surface. Yet the casual viewer isn't going to think about this and will instead walk away impressed. The movie somewhat subtly inserts these magnets so viewers get less time to analyse them, and will even feel initially smart for noticing them ala "show don't tell."

So it's understandable that people would initially really like the worldbuilding, but it's kinda frustrating that "tease the movie is well made but don't show enough for it to become painfully obvious the movie is bad" has become a semi successful method. I've noticed other films follow this approach too so hopefully with time this trend will become too noticable to casual viewers and the technique will die off.

nnodley

I liked the movie, but I agree with the worldbuilding.  Personally think there is quite a lot of potential for the world they show in the movie, but they dropped the ball on it.  If it was anything but a buddy cop film it might have helped, but maybe the sequel will get more things right.

ethomaz

Talking about movies... how the hell they choose the less Lara Croft girl to role her in the new Tomb Raider movie??? C'mon.

the-pi-guy

Ive never heard of this movie.  

ethomaz

Will Smith + Elves + Orcs + etc.

It broke the Netflix record of most watched movie... so it will receive a sequel.

Legend

Will Smith + Elves + Orcs + etc.

It broke the Netflix record of most watched movie... so it will receive a sequel.
It's getting like 4 sequels.  :P

Talking about movies... how the hell they choose the less Lara Croft girl to role her in the new Tomb Raider movie??? C'mon.
Vikander seemed like a good fit but the trailers don't look that good to me.
I liked the movie, but I agree with the worldbuilding.  Personally think there is quite a lot of potential for the world they show in the movie, but they dropped the ball on it.  If it was anything but a buddy cop film it might have helped, but maybe the sequel will get more things right.
Yeah if the sequels are better, I wouldn't mind this one as much.
Was Netflix's big movie attempt with Will Smith. It's universally panned by critics but still has a lot of fans.

Dr. Pezus

She looks a bit like new lara though. She's ripped and a good actress

ethomaz

Feb 22, 2018, 02:20 AM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018, 02:25 AM by ethomaz
She looks a bit like new lara though. She's ripped and a good actress
I'm not even discussing how good is her but that she actually didn't fit the Lara Croft character... she is too girlish in my view.

Even if you compared here with the new look Lara in game... she is like a little chicken lol

Dr. Pezus

I'm not even discussing how good is her but that she actually didn't fit the Lara Croft character... she is too girlish in my view.

Even if you compared here with the new look Lara in game... she is like a little chicken lol

I dno, I don't see who'd be a better fit