Switch does matchmaking and lobbies through phone App

Started by Legend, Jan 19, 2017, 01:11 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Reggie: Switch matchmaking and lobbies handled through phone app - NeoGAF

http://nintendotoday.com/switch-app-matchmaking/
The smart phone app that we're creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that's how you'll voice chat, that's how you'll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it's a very elegant solution because if you've taken your switch on the go, you've put yourself in a hotspot, you're looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.So we think we've got an elegant solution. That's a very specific answer to your question.

Needing two devices to do the work only one should be doing isn't elegant to me, but I use a big bulky headset so what do I know?

Aura7541

Xevross

Jan 19, 2017, 01:19 AM Last Edit: Jan 19, 2017, 01:22 AM by Xevross

This is absolutely awful. Nintendo still live in the 90s

DD_Bwest

this is mind boggling. and they want to charge for online?

the-pi-guy

This is bizarrely idiotic.  

Raven

This is just something you cannot possibly defend with a straight face. Requiring a fudgy smartphone app to do matchmaking?

kitler53

Jan 19, 2017, 03:51 AM Last Edit: Jan 19, 2017, 03:56 AM by kitler53
as a mobile:  this is fine.  i bought the 3G model of vita because i wanted to be able to do things online but then i wasn't willing to pay the $10 per month line access fee.  having all online things tethered to the phone is kind of nice if you are on the go

as a console: what the fudge is this shame.

this device just doesn't know what it is,.. or more to the point.  nintendo need to stop alling this a console. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Aura7541

kitler53

the-pi-guy

Clearly what they are trying to do is keep people off their online.
By making it as bad as possible.

Voice chat done through an app is one (very very very bad) thing, but if you can't even do basic online game functions, you've completely messed up.  

kitler53

Clearly what they are trying to do is keep people off their online.
By making it as bad as possible.

Voice chat done through an app is one (very very very bad) thing, but if you can't even do basic online game functions, you've completely messed up.  
i'm willing to believe voice chat is exclusive to the app.  probably even party based matchmaking.  i really, really doubt that i couldn't get in a splatoon match with only randoms without using the phone app.  

i'm thinking the "out of the box" online interactions are as bare bones as what wii offered and that the phone app provides the more advanced features ps and xbox fans expect like voice chat and parties.

the-pi-guy

i'm willing to believe voice chat is exclusive to the app.  probably even party based matchmaking.  i really, really doubt that i couldn't get in a splatoon match with only randoms without using the phone app.  

i'm thinking the "out of the box" online interactions are as bare bones as what wii offered and that the phone app provides the more advanced features ps and xbox fans expect like voice chat and parties.
That wouldn't be too bad, but seeing how bad some of this sounds...  :P
We'll have to see.  

Max King of the Wild

This is what I have read as well. But if you have to pay for the app considering they specifically say a FREE LIMITED version comes out in the summer then that is extremely stupid.

It doesn't make any fudgy sense to have my phone out while at home. My phones speakers and mic are pathetic if I'm not in a small quiet enclosed area. A living room with a TV going? Holy shame, means I'll need a head set for the phone... Which will be plugged into a charger because a constant connection like that will drain the battery....

Max King of the Wild

How come I seem to be the only one who picked up on the switch app probably being sold? Everyone who talks about the embarrassing voice chat leave out it will probably be behind a paid app and you need a paid subscription

Legend

How come I seem to be the only one who picked up on the switch app probably being sold? Everyone who talks about the embarrassing voice chat leave out it will probably be behind a paid app and you need a paid subscription
Tons of people have already talked about it. Conclusion is that the app is included in the subscription.