Nintendo Community Thread

Started by Legend, Jul 26, 2014, 04:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

The VGC thread pretty much had the fans circle jerking Nintendo for this revelation, despite asking for Galaxy....  I was legitimately curious.
Apparently Galaxy is linear?  

darkknightkryta

Not the little I played, but I never played 64 to compare.

Legend

Not the little I played, but I never played 64 to compare.
Galaxy is a wide linear from what I played before rage quitting. (stupid waggle)

64 was a full open world where exploration was the driving factor. Each level was a minimap with its own goals and mysteries. You'd go back to levels many times to collect all their stars. I hardly remember Sunshine, but I remember large open multipurpose areas in it too.

kitler53

Jan 17, 2017, 03:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 17, 2017, 03:26 PM by kitler53

what legends said but to say it again anyways.

galaxy was kind of a traditional platformer.  select level, go from point A to point B.  yeah,,. you could move around in 3 dimensions but it's general level design was an A to B design not too dissimilar to a chapter in uncharted 4.

mario 64 was kind of a open world game of sorts.  it was tiny as all hell but remember it was also on the n64.  anyways,.. select map (there were several).  choose an objective (something like collect 5 stars).  wander around somewhat aimlessly (aka open world game) and eventually achieve the objective.

i loved galaxy and hated mario 64.  hearing about this kind of makes this mario dead to me.  i know a lot of other people loved mario 64 but i thought it was the worst mario game ever created.  i generally don't like sandbox games though so it's nothing personal to mario 64.  i just don't like the aimlessness of open world games.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Galaxy is a wide linear from what I played before rage quitting. (stupid waggle)

Lol, I liked waggle.  Well, I didn't dislike it at least.  

what legends said but to say it again anyways.

galaxy was kind of a traditional platformer.  select level, go from point A to point B.  yeah,,. you could move around in 3 dimensions but it's general level design was an A to B design not too dissimilar to a chapter in uncharted 4.

mario 64 was kind of a open world game of sorts.  it was tiny as all hell but remember it was also on the n64.  anyways,.. select map (there were several).  choose an objective (something like collect 5 stars).  wander around somewhat aimlessly (aka open world game) and eventually achieve the objective.

i loved galaxy and hated mario 64.  hearing about this kind of makes this mario dead to me.  i know a lot of other people loved mario 64 but i thought it was the worst mario game ever created.  i generally don't like sandbox games though so it's nothing personal to mario 64.  i just don't like the aimlessness of open world games.
It's been a while since I played either game.  
But Galaxy was a 9/10 game for me.  But I didn't really get 64.  It seemed good, but Galaxy was way better in my opinion.  
Thought Sunshine was good, but it was very different.  

Legend

I played Mario 64 on the DS and it was a 10/10 game for me. I was surprised how much I liked it.

Lol, I liked waggle.  Well, I didn't dislike it at least.  
It's the spawn of satan.

darkknightkryta

I played Mario 64 on the DS and it was a 10/10 game for me. I was surprised how much I liked it.

It's the spawn of satan.
I like the waggle.

Legend

I like the waggle.
Motion controls can be great.

Waggle though is just mapping a button to motion for the sake of it. They could be 100% optional yet never are.

the-pi-guy

Motion controls can be great.

Waggle though is just mapping a button to motion for the sake of it. They could be 100% optional yet never are.
They are optional in a few games.  
Mario Kart, you can play with a regular controller or play with nunchucks and use waggle to do tricks.  Personally my favorite way to play Mario Kart by far.  

Legend

the-pi-guy

Jan 20, 2017, 09:08 PM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2017, 09:15 PM by the-pi-guy

DerNebel

So according to Amazon.com Bomberman will be $50 and Binding of Isaac Afterbirth will be $40 on the Switch, pretty steep if you ask me.

Legend

So according to Amazon.com Bomberman will be $50 and Binding of Isaac Afterbirth will be $40 on the Switch, pretty steep if you ask me.
Just like psvr, the software is overpriced for launch.

DerNebel

Just like psvr, the software is overpriced for launch.
Hmm, I guess. But VR games at least represent a new way of playing so it might be somewhat justifiable that companies would still experiment with their pricing models. But can the same be said about Switch games? I mean Binding of Isaac is available for less on all other platforms I reckon.

darkknightkryta

Hmm, I guess. But VR games at least represent a new way of playing so it might be somewhat justifiable that companies would still experiment with their pricing models. But can the same be said about Switch games? I mean Binding of Isaac is available for less on all other platforms I reckon.
I wonder if Nintendo fans are going to shun this game like they did Mass Effect 3.  Though I wonder what is up with the pricing.  Ultra Street Fighter 2 is 40 dollars to an updated 10 dollar PS3 game.

Go Up