Nvidia RTX 2070, 2080, 2080 TI announced

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 20, 2018, 07:17 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Nvidia's event concluded by advertising prices "starting" at $499, $699, and $999, respectively, for those same models--assumedly referring to video card partners producing their own models outside Nvidia's own Founders Edition line.

That much money for the 2080 Ti Founders Edition will net you 11GB of GDDR6 RAM and a card running at a base clock of 1,350 MHz and a "boost" clock of 1,635 MHz. It will include 4,352 CUDA cores and 352-bit memory bandwidth running at 616 GB/sec. The more affordable 2080 Founders Edition actually clocks faster, at a "boost" clock of 1,800 MHz, but with 8GB of GDDR6 RAM. That memory operates with 256-bit bandwidth running at 448 GB/sec, and the card includes 2,944 CUDA cores.
Nvidia's new RTX 2080, 2080 Ti video cards ship on Sept. 20, starting at $699 | Ars Technica

Dr. Pezus

Legend

What's rtx vs gtx?

the-pi-guy

What's rtx vs gtx?
It doesn't stand for anything, I guess.

But you could say GTX - graphics, RTX- Ray tracing

I read something about specialized hardware for real time Ray tracing.

Legend

It doesn't stand for anything, I guess.

But you could say GTX - graphics, RTX- Ray tracing

I read something about specialized hardware for real time Ray tracing.

So this doesn't replace gtx?

Hardware accelerated ray tracing would be nice but everything seems to be moving away from that.

the-pi-guy

Probably does. Either RTX replaces it or RTX is basically Nvidia's i9. 

Hardware accelerated ray tracing would be nice but everything seems to be moving away from that.
Well maybe this is what helps keeps it up with newer GPU's. 

Legend

Probably does. Either RTX replaces it or RTX is basically Nvidia's i9.  

Well maybe this is what helps keeps it up with newer GPU's.  
Huh.

We really are entering the age of ray tracing.

darkknightkryta

Huh.

We really are entering the age of ray tracing.
I don't know; we were supposed to enter the age of tesselation like 6 years ago.

Legend

I don't know; we were supposed to enter the age of tesselation like 6 years ago.
Everything supports tesselation now. It's just not as popular as other things.

I'm not the biggest fan of ray tracing and no way will it replace rasterization anytime soon, but it's about to become a standard option for rendering. Already it's great for special effects.

Xevross

What Pi said, it's kind of like an i9. These are super high end that not many people will get much use out of for a while. For playing games at high settings the 1080ti is still the most relevant, they haven't replaced that yet.

darkknightkryta

Everything supports tesselation now. It's just not as popular as other things.

I'm not the biggest fan of ray tracing and no way will it replace rasterization anytime soon, but it's about to become a standard option for rendering. Already it's great for special effects.
These games support ray tracing (Maybe)  :P

Xevross

So... On the 2080Ti Shadow of the Tomb raider with ray tracing runs at 30-50fps at 1080p. Ouch. I guess ray tracing is still a long way off.

Legend

So... On the 2080Ti Shadow of the Tomb raider with ray tracing runs at 30-50fps at 1080p. Ouch. I guess ray tracing is still a long way off.
Why would they even bother with a ray trace version?

Any video of it running? Big thing holding back ray tracing is image grain. Essentially they don't have the power to render at full 1080p, so they have a post render system that cleans up the image. Machine learning is the big buzzword they're using to say ray tracing is here.

Xevross

Why would they even bother with a ray trace version?

Any video of it running? Big thing holding back ray tracing is image grain. Essentially they don't have the power to render at full 1080p, so they have a post render system that cleans up the image. Machine learning is the big buzzword they're using to say ray tracing is here.
There is a video but I'm on my phone so I cba finding it, soz!  ;D

I guess they're getting the ray tracing ball rolling, to encourage more work on it and next gen it'll work a lot better. Seems like there's not much reason to upgrade from the 10 series for these, unless money isn't an issue for you.

the-pi-guy

Seems like there's not much reason to upgrade from the 10 series for these, unless money isn't an issue for you.
Prices seem awful in other countries.