Sony San Diego’s Unannounced F2P Game to Be Competitive, Include Vehicles

Started by Raven, May 03, 2014, 11:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

Sony San Diego's Unannounced F2P Game to Be Competitive, Include Vehicles; A New ModNation Racers?

Back in January we learned that Sony San Diego is working on a free to play title, and today we learn more about it, thanks to a career opportunity ad seeking a Senior Game Designer.

The position explicitly requires experience with free to play games and live game experiences, matching the previous ad, and it also demands the candidate to be well versed with competitive games.

Additionally, it includes a series of hints about the game's design:

Game Design process knowledge including game play and AI design, player or vehicle control, user interface, pacing, game balancing, monietization, etc.

Connecting the dots, the title seems to be a competitive free to play racing game. Considering that Sony San Diego is the studio behind the PSP and PS Vita installments of the ModNation Racers franchise, it's definitely not farfetched to think that the new title could be a new entry in the same series, especially since ModNation seems like the perfect game for the free to play model.

Of course that's not necessarily the only option, and Sony San Diego could be working on a different game entirely. We'll have to wait for an official announcement from Sony Computer Entertainment to be sure.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/03/sony-san-diegos-unannounced-f2p-game-to-be-competitive-include-vehicles-a-new-modnation-racers/

the-pi-guy

I'm potentially excited. 

Raven

I'm potentially excited.

Wasn't it you and I who were questioning another ModNation Racers being made if it was F2P?

the-pi-guy

Wasn't it you and I who were questioning another ModNation Racers being made if it was F2P?

Was it you? 

Raven

the-pi-guy

No. I'm pretty sure it was me.

It wasn't me and you, but it was you and me. 

Raven

It wasn't me and you, but it was you and me.

Was it thy and thou?

the-pi-guy

Was it thy and thou?

I'm not sure anymore. 
Anyway....
I'm definitely excited, hopefully they fix those awful load times. 

Xevross

Any racing game gets me interested :)... will definitely keep a close eye on this.

7H3

I feel like the f2p market on console is going to get super saturated this gen on ps4... but I guess that means you can buy a ps4 with no sub and have access to a ton of games for free which is cool
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Xevross

I feel like the f2p market on console is going to get super saturated this gen on ps4... but I guess that means you can buy a ps4 with no sub and have access to a ton of games for free which is cool

Its an amazing selling bonus if only more people knew about all the f2p stuff.

7H3

Its an amazing selling bonus if only more people knew about all the f2p stuff.

it really is... I mean advertising for $100 less than top competitor then show casing some triple A quality free games could really go a long way.

Xevross

it really is... I mean advertising for $100 less than top competitor then show casing some triple A quality free games could really go a long way.

Yeah sony really just needs to advertise more to increase awareness and sales would be much better.

7H3

Yeah sony really just needs to advertise more to increase awareness and sales would be much better.

Well they got that road to greatness US tour thing going on, and will potentially be adding more locations as well.

Legend

F2P is a mess. I almost went that way with my game, but decided not since usually they're so manipulative. Especially the candy crush type free to play games. I look forward to the day that that type of content is treated in similar regard to gambling.