Amazon announces Lord of the Rings TV show, months after Tolkien resigns from Estate

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 15, 2017, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Amazon announces 'Lord of the Rings' TV show - CNN
The streaming service on Monday announced it is bringing J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy epic to television, with a multiple season commitment.

J.R.R. Tolkien's Son Resigns as Director of Tolkien Estate, Ending Decades of Tightly Controlled Adaptations

The news this week that Warner Bros. and Amazon are now working on a The Lord of the Rings series came as a bit of a surprise, since it'd been widely assumed that Christopher Tolkien would never give anyone the rights again. It's now come out that Tolkien, who has safeguarded the rights of his father J.R.R. Tolkien's work, recently resigned as director of Tolkien Estate--signifying a major change on the horizon for adaptations of Tolkien's work.

Legend

Is it the same plot as the movies or just within the universe? Could be good like a game of thrones show.

Hopefully they do right with the conlangs!

the-pi-guy

Is it the same plot as the movies or just within the universe? Could be good like a game of thrones show.

Hopefully they do right with the conlangs!
What I read is same universe. 

It seemed like a big deal a few days ago because Christopher Tolkien absolutely hated the Lord of the Rings movies, so they weren't going to be touched by any other companies. 

Legend

What I read is same universe.  

It seemed like a big deal a few days ago because Christopher Tolkien absolutely hated the Lord of the Rings movies, so they weren't going to be touched by any other companies.  
How were the hobbit movies greenlight?

He liked the video games? I never thought about how many lotr games there are compared to other mediums.

Xevross

Slightly misleading title I think. It seems like he resigned a little bit of time ago, which allowed Amazon to complete this deal.

I'm interested in this, and I'll watch it for sure. Hope it can be as good as game of thrones, although that is a tall order.

the-pi-guy

Slightly misleading title I think. It seems like he resigned a little bit of time ago, which allowed Amazon to complete this deal.

I'm interested in this, and I'll watch it for sure. Hope it can be as good as game of thrones, although that is a tall order.
Shoot that's my bad.  I made an assumption based on some comments and I only skimmed the article.  

How were the hobbit movies greenlight?

He liked the video games? I never thought about how many lotr games there are compared to other mediums.
I'm not sure.  
I think WB still is able to make things, but the Tolkien estate hasn't really liked many of them.  They even sued WB to stop making LoTR slot machines.