Iceland: On Pace to Virtually Eliminate Down Syndrome

Started by Cute Pikachu, Aug 17, 2017, 12:56 AM

previous topic - next topic

Cute Pikachu

Why Down syndrome in Iceland has almost disappeared - CBS News

Alright so if some of you have not heard Iceland has been rather keen on using abortion as a method of eliminating Down syndrome.
I'll be honest I disagree with this to the highest order since I can't imagine what life would be like if my cousin who is my best friend was not alive.
Anyway, hopefully unlike Neogaf where some of them think babies with Down Syndrome should die no matter what, I hope we have a civil discussion about it and listen to each other opinions(apparently my opinions of the matter are wrong on Gaf.
What does everyone think?
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

BasilZero

Paging Doctor Pezus, we need Snowman Land's #1 doctor response to this.

@Dr. Pez

Cute Pikachu

Paging Doctor Pezus, we need Snowman Land's #1 doctor response to this.

@Dr. Pez
Yes that would be a great idea since it would nice to have someone who has a more close up inspection of the matter.

Dr. Pezus

Everyone gets a choice. It's not being forced upon anyone. About a third of women don't even do the screening.

In any case Down syndrome will never disappear. It's not something "genetic" in the sense that it isn't inherited so eliminating it is not possible with this method

Kerotan

Everyone gets a choice. It's not being forced upon anyone. About a third of women don't even do the screening.

In any case Down syndrome will never disappear. It's not something "genetic" in the sense that it isn't inherited so eliminating it is not possible with this method
I was going to ask if this would stop it genetically.  For me this is the easy option. Down syndrome unless really severe iejtthat bad.  I know some DS kids who have great personality and really enjoy a good life.

Imo it shouldn't be allowed because the kid obviously doesn't want to die so why should the mother be allowed to kill it.  

Dr. Pezus

I was going to ask if this would stop it genetically.  For me this is the easy option. Down syndrome unless really severe iejtthat bad.  I know some DS kids who have great personality and really enjoy a good life.

Imo it shouldn't be allowed because the kid obviously doesn't want to die so why should the mother be allowed to kill it.  
Well then do you feel the same about abortion in general?

Xevross

Abortion in any case, this included, should be 100% up to the woman. As long as education is good enough, so the woman makes a fully informed decision, there's nothing wrong with this.

I don't agree with aborting a fetus because it has down syndrome, but its not up to me.

the-pi-guy

On the one hand, I very much dislike abortion.  I also think it is important that it stays legal in all cases.  

Cute Pikachu

On the one hand, I very much dislike abortion.  I also think it is important that it stays legal in all cases.  
Sort of my stance. I absolutely am not a fan of abortion of in general but it should be allowed.

Kerotan

Well then do you feel the same about abortion in general?
Yeah I don't really approve of it if there's a baby in the stomach.  If it's at the very start then I'm not as against.  If the mother might need an abortion or she could die I'm in favour.

And I'm not religious.

ethomaz

Aug 17, 2017, 11:58 PM Last Edit: Aug 18, 2017, 02:20 AM by ethomaz
I'm against abortion too except for specific cases... even so I support the abortion being done pretty early.
And Down Syndrome childrens should born... I have no issue with them... some are even better guys/girls than some individuals.

Cute Pikachu

Just goes to show how good of a forum this place is where we can respectfully discuss this.

BasilZero

Just goes to show how good of a forum this place is where we can respectfully discuss this.
If this was VGC or GAF,  there would be blood all over on the forums l0l

Xevross

The concept of abortion being an issue is really weird to me. Growing up in England I've never faced any arguments about it at all. We all just accept that its up to the mother in their individual case, with advice from doctors, and move on with our lives.

I accept that some people are against abortion completely, but I don't like it when they force that view onto others.