"Linear story games are really going to suffer in the modern marketplace", says Far Cry 4 dev

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 23, 2014, 05:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

"I'm really interested in emergent games and where that's going with video sharing and Twitch," he observed, as part of a lengthy chat with interviewer Andy Robinson. "I think linear story games are really going to suffer in the modern marketplace.

"They're already super high-quality, and we're already seeing their audiences migrate to the big open world games. If I open my friends list and see everybody on the same mission, doing the same thing... I think that's nowhere near as strong a sales pitch as opening your friends list and seeing 40 people doing completely different things."

http://www.totalxbox.com/82095/linear-story-games-are-really-going-to-suffer-in-the-modern-marketplace-says-far-cry-4-dev/

Legend

I disagree.

Tlou>skyrim lol

the-pi-guy

I disagree.

Tlou>skyrim lol

Have to agree with you disagreeing. 
I think my entire top 5 is all linear games, then number 6 is open world. 

NeverDies

I think both kinds are really fun.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Raven

Someone needs to tell Ubisoft that overhyped IPs in which the company lies about its visuals are the games that will suffer.

BananaKing

The Last of Us Agrees.

NeverDies

Linear games are able to tell stories and trigger emotions with much more finesse, whereas I've found open world games tend to work best with just randomly blowing stuff up.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Xevross

Nah, both open world and linear games will strive. Like many have said, my favourite games have been linear

Raven

Nah, both open world and linear games will strive. Like many have said, my favourite games have been linear

I probably shouldn't read any posts right after waking up. I thought you said, "...my favorite games have had beer in them".

Xevross

I probably shouldn't read any posts right after waking up. I thought you said, "...my favorite games have had beer in them".

Lol that ain't even close!

Raven

NeverDies

I always get a laugh in open world games when you find quests or NPC's that reference stuff you haven't done yet, and spoil the plot.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Legend

I always get a laugh in open world games when you find quests or NPC's that reference stuff you haven't done yet, and spoil the plot.

Yeah talk about annoying.

the-pi-guy

Oooh like what?