Recent Posts

Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10
Well Jim sure is happy  ;D

Wow, this Loot Box thing is seriously blowing up.  :o
Yeah it's definitely the beginning of something. I was thinking about it the other day and ideally I think I'd like to see real games and gambling games separated into different sub industries, kinda like how we think of Japanese pachinko games as separate from normal Japanese video games. Hopefully this loot box thing doesn't go too far and bring back potential regulations for good games like we saw in the 90's.

I didn't finish watching the video, about a few minutes left but... does he not realize what he's saying?  The ONLY reason costs have come down is because of publishers making practically no games.  They're making no games because they're making consistent money with DLC.  If there was no DLC they'd have to make money per game, which more or less leads to huge budgets, since you'd have to have 5+ games releasing yearly running around 20 million dollar budgets each.  That's a 100 million dollars just making games annually without marketing.  These huge budgets put a lot of companies last gen out of business.  The companies that survived WAS because of DLC.  He also doesn't prove that DLC is not necessary.  Even with Battlefront 2, for instance, it'd lose money without DLC (Don't think they need loot boxes at that point though).  He also mentions Hellblade.  Hellblade was designed specifically to keep budgets down.  Should all developers be trying to develop games with this mindset?  Of course, but most game developers are mismanaged.  You can't say "Oh Ubisoft can make Assassins Creed Unity with 5 million dollars" when they had 1000 people working on it.  I don't like where the game industry is going, I really don't, but to say publishers can release something like 5+ titles annually with huge budgets per game without going bankrupt is ludicrous.  
Yeah the video somewhat says that per game the budget is increasing. Individual games are costing more to make but publishers overall aren't spending more to make games.

Battlefront 1 easily made money before factoring in DLC or microtransactions. It sold a ton and on the surface seems relatively inexpensive as a Battlefield reskinning.

Mostly I just liked the video for the data, not for his conclusions.

Interesting video. I hadn't released the general trend of releasing less games nowadays. Don't agree with everything but it's a good timeline of how we got here.

I didn't finish watching the video, about a few minutes left but... does he not realize what he's saying?  The ONLY reason costs have come down is because of publishers making practically no games.  They're making no games because they're making consistent money with DLC.  If there was no DLC they'd have to make money per game, which more or less leads to huge budgets, since you'd have to have 5+ games releasing yearly running around 20 million dollar budgets each.  That's a 100 million dollars just making games annually without marketing.  These huge budgets put a lot of companies last gen out of business.  The companies that survived WAS because of DLC.  He also doesn't prove that DLC is not necessary.  Even with Battlefront 2, for instance, it'd lose money without DLC (Don't think they need loot boxes at that point though).  He also mentions Hellblade.  Hellblade was designed specifically to keep budgets down.  Should all developers be trying to develop games with this mindset?  Of course, but most game developers are mismanaged.  You can't say "Oh Ubisoft can make Assassins Creed Unity with 5 million dollars" when they had 1000 people working on it.  I don't like where the game industry is going, I really don't, but to say publishers can release something like 5+ titles annually with huge budgets per game without going bankrupt is ludicrous. 
Wow, this Loot Box thing is seriously blowing up.  :o
Gaming Community / Re: PlayStation Community Thre...
Last post by Legend - Today at 04:22 PM
Bloodborne enemy seen in 2014 PSX footage discovered in-game 3 years later | ResetEra

At 2014's Playstation Experience, Miyazaki showed the first footage of Bloodborne's randomly-generated Chalice Dungeons. One of the enemies the player was seen fighting was an Undead Giant with one of its blade arms on fire. When the game released and people started creating their own Chalice Dungeons, the flaming Undead Giant seemed to be absent, so people assumed it was cut content. However, on November 19th of 2017, nearly 3 years after the enemy was shown, some dedicated Tomb Prospectors found the flaming Undead Giant in a Depth 4 Cursed and Defiled Root Chalice Dungeon with the glyph "pa6ssc6u". This video explains the background of the discovery and shows some footage of the flaming Undead Giant in action.Credit to MorosNyx on r/bloodborne and r/tombprospectors for bringing this to people's attention.Thread by Toxi  
League Mode seems like a big addition. :o

Burn them with fire
Gaming Community / Re: PlayStation Community Thre...
Last post by DerNebel - Today at 03:27 PM
Gran Turismo Sport: Incoming Updates Add New Cars, Offline Play, GT League & More - PlayStation.Blog

Sounds like a pretty significant and important update to the game, should they be able to keep up this pace for updates, then the game should be set on a good path.
I'm not gonna lie, loot-box's are a stain on gaming.
Its now 69 on meta, 67 on open. Down and down it goes. That corresponds to it being in the bottom 33% of games on opencritic.

Its the #1 most discussed game on meta for the year now too. Not surprising really.
Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10