Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Having a starwars film every year is just oversaturating and bringing the franchise down.

The hype for their movies is really going down and it seems solo will make things worse rather than better. I wonder if Disney will continue with this approach or start spacing the movies out.

Honestly it seems Disney over estimated how big Starwars as a franchise is and how much it can milk it in the short term.

Xevross

Having a starwars film every year is just oversaturating and bringing the franchise down.

The hype for their movies is really going down and it seems solo will make things worse rather than better. I wonder if Disney will continue with this approach or start spacing the movies out.

Honestly it seems Disney over estimated how big Starwars as a franchise is and how much it can milk it in the short term.
Oh definitely. Me and my friends were talking about this and I was telling them how bad it is for the longevity of the franchise.

Not only that, but its the poor management with the ST. It should have all been written beforehand and there should have been a plan so a TLJ like situation didn't happen. Solo is possinly looking to fall to as little as $700m at the global box office. That would be the worst performance ever for the franchise (inflation accounted for), and it'd mostly be thanks to TLJ alienating a lot of fans, and people not really caring because its only been 6 months since the last Star Wars film. It won't be because of the quality, because most Star Wars fans will prefer Solo to TLJ.

Disney/ Kathleen Kennedy needs to get their shame together, they'll run Star Wars into the ground. If they want to keep releasing each year they need to plan better and seriously improve what they're doing.

Xevross

Solo is collapsing from Rogue One all over the place.

Taiwan OD down 65%
France OD down 50%
Italy OD down 39%
China is looking to be at least 60% down on OW.

We'll find out more later.

Legend

Rogue One > Solo ~ TFA >> TLJ out of the new films for me (in terms of enjoyment/ how much I like them).
I thought you loved TLJ?

Xevross

May 24, 2018, 11:47 AM Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:48 AM by Xevross
I thought you loved TLJ?
I did. But that was my order in terms of enjoyment of the films (on first viewing) ;)

Also I love TLJ as a film but I don't like what it did in the context of the SW universe/ Sequel trilogy. Luke would never do what he did in the gap between ROTJ/ TFA, Rey is still too much of a Mary Sue etc. I have a lot of problems with TLJ, but the others I just like.

the-pi-guy

I did. But that was my order in terms of enjoyment of the films (on first viewing) ;)
Adjusted for truth:
Rogue One > Solo ~ TFA >> Death >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TLJ

Xevross

May 24, 2018, 01:08 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:18 PM by Xevross
TLJ is a film where the creators (Kathleen/ Rian) just did there own thing and didn't care about what fans thought, or how fans would react. While that might make for a good film from one perspective, we all know what the effect of that was.

Meanwhile, Solo seems like the complete opposite. Its a film who's entire purpose is to please Star Wars fans and give them something nostalgic and fun to watch. Its just a shame that a lot of the fans who'd love it are now boycotting it because of the whole TLJ, Kathleen situations. Its mostly not too cheesy in how it does it as well. Its not always tooooo obvious that what they're doing is just fan service. One part where I rolled my eyes though, and thought it was really dumb (most people agree), is how Han got the name Solo.... you'll see

TLJ makes for a great standalone film, but is made much worse in the context of the SW universe/ the other films its supposed to connect to.
Solo makes for an okay standalone film, but it plays off the OT and other SW films so well that it more than makes up for it.

Xevross

Mother of god, Solo is down 87% from Rogue One OD in South Korea. This is fudgy madness, possibly the flop of the year.

Xevross

Right now I think Disney would be happy to take Justice League's much mocked $657m WW total. This is just woeful everywhere. We'll see if the US is going to save Solo tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath.

Xevross

And so it begins. Solo targeting 13-15m thursday previews. That's awful, only half of Rogue One. Its going to have to do a crazy new weekend : previews ratio record for SW to get any respectable numbers...

the-pi-guy

And so it begins. Solo targeting 13-15m thursday previews. That's awful, only half of Rogue One. Its going to have to do a crazy new weekend : previews ratio record for SW to get any respectable numbers...
I blame political correctness.  

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I&#39;m still salty about people....<br>

Xevross

I blame political correctness.  

Spoiler for Hidden:

I'm still salty about people....

Lol I think the crowd who are angry at PC/ SJW shizwaz will probably help reduce this film's gross by only a miniscule amount. The biggest failings for Solo are lack of interest, mainly due to releasing so soon after TLJ. Also Summer competition doesn't help. If it was released in December I think it'd do maybe up to 50% better. It was such a dumb decision by Disney.

Anyway, Australia is down 70% from Rogue One on OD. I don't think there's any country where the early numbers are even remotely okay. I think the UK is the only big place we haven't seen yet, the last glimmer of hope (well along with full OD numbers for Dom).

BananaKing

Lol I think the crowd who are angry at PC/ SJW shizwaz will probably help reduce this film's gross by only a miniscule amount. The biggest failings for Solo are lack of interest, mainly due to releasing so soon after TLJ. Also Summer competition doesn't help. If it was released in December I think it'd do maybe up to 50% better. It was such a dumb decision by Disney.

Anyway, Australia is down 70% from Rogue One on OD. I don't think there's any country where the early numbers are even remotely okay. I think the UK is the only big place we haven't seen yet, the last glimmer of hope (well along with full OD numbers for Dom).
I haven't watched the film's so I don't know the content and how much they push political agendas. But if it's about the trilogy and RO having female leads then I'd agrue there was no "damage" done.

In the starwars universe it's perfectly fine, reasonable and honesty expected to have females take on roles of power and fighting the empire. The force and being a Jedi isn't naughtiness exclusive and it would be out of place if there were no female characters in lead roles.

There is a difference between mixing things up and flat out pushing a political agenda. Usually the latter deters a lot from the quality of the movie/game/story.

Xevross

I haven't watched the film's so I don't know the content and how much they push political agendas. But if it's about the trilogy and RO having female leads then I'd agrue there was no "damage" done.

In the starwars universe it's perfectly fine, reasonable and honesty expected to have females take on roles of power and fighting the empire. The force and being a Jedi isn't naughtiness exclusive and it would be out of place if there were no female characters in lead roles.

There is a difference between mixing things up and flat out pushing a political agenda. Usually the latter deters a lot from the quality of the movie/game/story.
Yep and all they're doing is mixing things up. Its mostly just sexists/ alt-right people who have these issues.

Xevross

May 25, 2018, 04:20 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:23 PM by Xevross
Solo previews $14.1m, less than half of Rogue One. That's bad.

Solo international first two days - $11.4m, less than a third of Rogue One. That's absolutely atrocious.

Go Up