previous topic - next topic

Legend

My favorite holliday is almost here!

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Legend

What?
What?
The monday before Thanksgiving is German night!

Drink German beer, eat German food, listen to German music, etc.

Xevross

The monday before Thanksgiving is German night!

Drink German beer, eat German food, listen to German music, etc.
Sure...

Do you guys have German christmas markets in the US of A?

Legend

Sure...

Do you guys have German christmas markets in the US of A?
Yup. The Denver one is pretty popular.

Xevross

Yup. The Denver one is pretty popular.
Awesome. We have them in most major cities, they're always great. Hopefully I get to go to one this year. Regular christmas markets are great too.

Legend

The night has begun!!!

Legend

Nov 20, 2018, 06:21 AM Last Edit: Nov 20, 2018, 06:30 AM by Legend

Xevross

I do love me some sausages.

Dr. Pezus

Bratwurst is boss

DerNebel

Nobody likes the Germans

the-pi-guy

Nobody likes the Germans
One thing that is common in the US is talking about heritage.  A lot of people will say they are German, because their family came from Germany to the US some time in the past 200+ years.  

But I feel like that probably doesn't happen in Europe.  

Legend

One thing that is common in the US is talking about heritage.  A lot of people will say they are German, because their family came from Germany to the US some time in the past 200+ years.  

I learned that supposedly pre WW2, German was the second most popular language in America. It was only because people didn't want to be associated with Germany during the war that the language fell out of style.

DerNebel

It doesn't really. no, at least not among white europeans. Europeans of middle eastern, african or asian descent are probably more like to talk and think about those things, but that's probably linked to the fact, that in many european countries people with heritages from those regions have problems being recognized as Europeans even if they were born and raised in a europeans country.