4 (44.4%)
30 when graphics are much better
2 (22.2%)
mostly depends on the game
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Legend

Legend

Personally I always like 30 fps. It allows better graphics and when locked feals great.

Dr. Pezus

I always try to achieve 60 FPS on PC. It's just way better with the mouse. On console it doesn't matter as much so it depends on the game.

the-pi-guy

I just need it to be at least 20 fps. 
Overall, I'd say it depends on the game though really. 
And my opinion may change when I use PM/OR. 

darkknightkryta

It doesn't really matter as long as the framerate is above 22.  You get used to whatever you're playing.

ethomaz

60fps is better for gameplay because it is close to twice fast in response but 30fps is good too... in my preference order:

60fps with little to no dips
30fps with little to no dips
60fps unlocked going below
30fps unlocked going below

The biggest issue today is because the 60fps and 30fps are not locked/solid.

ethomaz

I think TLOU will give a good idea how 60fps is better... people will start to request more games in 60fps.

We finally will go back to roots... to pre-PS1 age when every game was 60fos with few exceptions.

BananaKing

i prefer 30fps.  its not that big of a difference when it comes to playing but a huge difference graphically. i really wish Uncharted was 1080p 30fps instead of this stupid 60 fps business.

darkknightkryta

I think TLOU will give a good idea how 60fps is better... people will start to request more games in 60fps.

We finally will go back to roots... to pre-PS1 age when every game was 60fos with few exceptions.

What game ran at a 60hz refresh rate?  I mean, frame rate is tied down to how fast a processor can draw frames in a second.  Why would it have been different then with arguably slower processors.  I mean, it took a lot for those processors to draw anything at the time.

ethomaz

Jul 29, 2014, 03:11 PM Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014, 03:16 PM by ethomaz

What game ran at a 60hz refresh rate?  I mean, frame rate is tied down to how fast a processor can draw frames in a second.  Why would it have been different then with arguably slower processors.  I mean, it took a lot for those processors to draw anything at the time.

Almost all games pre-PS1 (eg. NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System)... 30fps become a option after PS1/Saturn release with tridimensional graphics.

Few games run at 30fps pre PS1 age... I have no idea why devs choose to go with 30fps after PS1 and now they are backing to 60fps again.

Riderz1337

When I play PC games I always turn down settings so I can achieve as close to 60 FPS as possible, ESPECIALLY when playing first person shooters or racing games. I just love how smooth and quick 60 FPS feels.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Legend

60fps is better for gameplay because it is close to twice fast in response but 30fps is good too... in my preference order:

60fps with little to no dips
30fps with little to no dips
60fps unlocked going below
30fps unlocked going below

The biggest issue today is because the 60fps and 30fps are not locked/solid.

It's actually much much smaller than twice as fast response time. The difference in a pure form is 17 ms which is half of 33 ms, but controller, game lag, and tv lag for most users make the difference neglible. Only on PC with low response kb m and monitor with switching settings within the same game can people feel a real benefit to 60 fps response time.

ethomaz

Jul 29, 2014, 05:58 PM Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014, 06:02 PM by ethomaz

It's actually much much smaller than twice as fast response time. The difference in a pure form is 17 ms which is half of 33 ms, but controller, game lag, and tv lag for most users make the difference neglible. Only on PC with low response kb m and monitor with switching settings within the same game can people feel a real benefit to 60 fps response time.

Well the difference can be even bigger than that.

TLOUS example "we're looking at a frame-time reading that sticks largely to a sharp, responsive 16ms, while the PS3 routinely dips as low as 50ms."

Most TVs used to games have input lag below 20ms... yeap you will note a difference between 16ms response and 50ms response between 30 v 60fps.

Like I said TLOUS is a game changer mind... people will start to see the better response that 60fps give to you.

Legend

Well the difference can be even bigger than that.

TLOUS example "we're looking at a frame-time reading that sticks largely to a sharp, responsive 16ms, while the PS3 routinely dips as low as 50ms."

That is because of the switch to PS4, not just 60 fps.

All PS4 games have a faster response time than their PS3 brothers.

ethomaz

Jul 29, 2014, 06:03 PM Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014, 06:07 PM by ethomaz

That is because of the switch to PS4, not just 60 fps.

All PS4 games have a faster response time than their PS3 brothers.

You can make a test now ;)

Play TLOUS in 60fps and 30fps... you will see the difference... I'm glad they did that because before you can't compare different games to see the framerate differences but now it is the same game... the controller response is way better.

That is the main reason the controls in SNES age had faster response than today and why I believe Sonic never worked after Mega Drive... but that are my guesses :D