What will be the next major gaming genre?

Started by 7H3, May 10, 2014, 04:23 AM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

I've been thinking about this recently. The 7th gen really seemed to be dominated by FPS games in terms of popularity, market saturation, and sales. However, that wasn't always the case on consoles. Now that consoles do always have that online option will FPS remain the king of genres with this gen as well? Or will a new king genre emerge? Personally, I'd love to see some other genres get more love, especially in regards to co-op gaming.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Riderz1337

I think open world games will benefit from next gen, specifically because of the hardware. We already have games like Watch Dogs, Destiny, Witcher 3, rumoured Guerilla Games open world RPG and many more games that will come out in the years to come.

Also not sure if this is a genre, but indie games are really starting to get a lot of attention this generation, which is a good thing because before it was really only the big devs who got attention due to their marketing and whatnot. Nowadays the only marketing you really need for an indie game is social networking sites such as Facebook/Twitter. If you do it well you can attract a lot of attention. Of course, having a good game also helps with the attention.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Dr. Pezus

RPGs/Open-world games. FPS will still be the biggest though. But FPS really is only the biggest due to very few huge franchises (mostly CoD, but also Halo and BF)

darkknightkryta

Who knows, maybe adventure games will make a come back.

Legend

Virtual Reality!!!

Yes I know it's not really a genre...

7H3

... fail... gimmicks are not genres :-p
What would be the best game genre for VR though? FPS? (seems boring to me) I'd like to see something for VR that was more like an interactive movie than a game
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

VR games imo can fit in three groups.

1: Flying chair. These games are the games we've been playing for years, but now with a camera matching your head movement. So in a third person game, it's as if you're sitting in a chair that's flying behind the controlled character. Racing games work great, since your real world chair matches up with an in game chair.

2: Half in Half. These games match up some in game actions with the real world. Skyrim in VR with omni would fit this group. These games are either good, or really really bad.

3: True VR. These games put you 1 to 1 in the game. The castle demo and the diving demo fit here. These experiences are usually built from the ground up for vr, and as such can't fit in pre-existing genres. These games have traditionally been the least game like, but we know so little about them.

Gamers will probably prefer #1 for the first few years, but #3 has the most potential. We have no clue how games will develophere. It's like going back to square one and making our version of tennis for two.