Do movies/games/shows have an obligation to handle certain subjects in specific ways?

Started by Legend, Aug 31, 2018, 06:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Like with Infinity War for example. No spoilers, but Thanos wants to kill 50% of all life in the galaxy.

As a result, it seemingly pushed some people ever so slightly more towards agreeing with Thanos. With millions and millions of viewers, this .1% affected is still sizable.

Is that right? Should Infinity War 2 make a bigger point of expressing that everything about Thanos's belief is wrong?

Or what about shows that focus on suicide? 13 reasons why had many reports about how it significantly increased the suicide rate and was causing people to kill themselves. This is a specific show that might have been incorrectly reported on, but what about the general case?

I think this applies to all artists regardless of how many people will see their work. The artist is free to make their art but they are responsible for how their art impacts people. What do you think?

Legend

Just happened upon this reddit thread that kinda backs up imo that these thoughts about overpopulation have become pretty popular But I need it..... : trashy

the-pi-guy

Sorry I've been meaning to post here.  

I know the overpopulation bit is very common.  I even remember seeing comments about the world being overpopulated on GAF.  

In the Thanos example, I'm leaning towards no obligation.  I've been hearing about overpopulation being a big issue for years.

In the latter, I'm not so sure.

Legend

Sorry I've been meaning to post here.  

I know the overpopulation bit is very common.  I even remember seeing comments about the world being overpopulated on GAF.  

In the Thanos example, I'm leaning towards no obligation.  I've been hearing about overpopulation being a big issue for years.

In the latter, I'm not so sure.
Yeah it's been a thing for a years and it's also been the plot for a lot of movies. I'd say it's mostly just lazy writing at this point since it's become a trope.

Xevross

Thanos is dumb, he should have used his power to make more food/ resources instead. The population of earth will stop increasing eventually and killing people definitely isn't the answer. Soon food will be much easier for us to produce in labs and stuff so we can probably deal with it.

the-pi-guy

Thanos is dumb, he should have used his power to make more food/ resources instead. The population of earth will stop increasing eventually and killing people definitely isn't the answer. Soon food will be much easier for us to produce in labs and stuff so we can probably deal with it.
But this is a universal problem. 

The Tensnextions are breeding like rabbits and absorbing other planets.  It was the only way! 

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Tensnextions is an anagram for nonexistenTs.<br><div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px"><div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> for <i>Hidden</i>: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:60px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.value = 'Show'; }"></div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;"><br>Because I made them up.<br><div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px"><div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px"><b>Spoiler</b> for <i>Hidden</i>: <input type="button" value="Show" style="width:60px;font-size:10px;margin:0px;padding:0px;" onClick="if (this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display != '') { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = ''; this.value = 'Hide'; } else { this.parentNode.parentNode.getElementsByTagName('div')[1].getElementsByTagName('div')[0].style.display = 'none'; this.value = 'Show'; }"></div><div class="alt2" style="margin: 0px; padding: 6px; border: 1px inset;"><div style="display: none;"><br>We all know they&#39;re really out there, though.&nbsp; <br><br>We <em>know.</em><br></div></div></div><br></div></div></div><br>

Legend

But this is a universal problem.  

The Tensnextions are breeding like rabbits and absorbing other planets.  It was the only way!  

Spoiler for Hidden:

Tensnextions is an anagram for nonexistenTs.
Spoiler for Hidden:

Because I made them up.
Spoiler for Hidden:

We all know they're really out there, though.  

We know.

I was thinking about something like that. If you killed half of everything, then aliens that breed like rabbits and use the most resources would quickly out number the rest and take over.

the-pi-guy

Legend

ThanosDidNothingWrong

Uh.  
You didn't know about that place?

It's mostly just generic Thanos memes and based off the EmpireDidNothingWrong joke, but yeah.

the-pi-guy

You didn't know about that place?

It's mostly just generic Thanos memes and based off the EmpireDidNothingWrong joke, but yeah.
I kinda feel like I did.

Xevross

ThanosDidNothingWrong

Uh.  
Its just a meme subreddit. Pretty sure that's the one which randomly banned half of its subs a while ago.

the-pi-guy

Its just a meme subreddit.
And yet no one laughed when I brought it in here.