PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I just saw a reddit thread with like 5 people arguing that Sony doesn't develop games, as they are a publisher. Sony did not make The Last of Us or God of War.
Ya'll heard it here.

One of the people have already deleted their reddit accounts sooo..  
I wonder how Sony could fix their marketing since stuff like this is pretty common.

Maybe Nintendo was right to be soulless and not give individual brands to their development teams. Like no one has ever said "Nintendo didn't make Mario Odyssey, it was actually Production Group 8!"

kitler53

I wonder how Sony could fix their marketing since stuff like this is pretty common.

Maybe Nintendo was right to be soulless and not give individual brands to their development teams. Like no one has ever said "Nintendo didn't make Mario Odyssey, it was actually Production Group 8!"
the switch to "PlayStation studios" has been pretty recent.  give it time yo. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Is horizon burning shores worth it?

Horizon

Is horizon burning shores worth it?
Yes it is

Horizon

Sounds like Sony has mismanaged Firesprite to hell. If I was a UK studio and Sony wanted to buy me I'd tell them to get lost with their history.

Legend

Sony studio Firesprite has been shedding talent amidst accusations of toxic culture, staff say | Eurogamer.net

Sounds like Sony has mismanaged Firesprite to hell. If I was a UK studio and Sony wanted to buy me I'd tell them to get lost with their history.
Hard to know if it's bad leadership from Sony or bad Firesprite employees that didn't want improvements, but yeah UK studios live on borrowed time with Sony.

Bigbig, Evolution, Cambridge, Manchester, Liverpool, and now London with Firesprite and Media Molecule potentially coming soon.

Stay independent if you're a UK studio.

Horizon

Looking at the studios this is what needs to happen in the short term: (next 2 years)

Naughty Dog: Focus on announcing and releasing the new IP. Out of all the big studios they need to announce something new and hopefully something amazing.
Santa Monica: The most secure studio. They can take their time with the new IP due to success of God of War. If it is releases before 2026 amazing.
Sucker Punch: Also stable. Just focus on delivering with Ghost sequel and no doubt it will sell incredibly well.
Bend: In a trickier spot because working on a new IP. Focus on announcing the new IP by end of 2026.
San Diego: MLB machine. No worries there.
Insomniac: Focus on Wolverine and Venom game. Think about how to deliver Spider-man 3 whilst not going over budget.
Bluepoint: Focus on announcing their game by 2025 if remake. If new IP announced by 2026.
Haven: Ensure gameplay reveal of Fairgames delivers. Not many people were receptive to CGI trailer.
Firewalk: Same as Haven really.
Guerrilla: Focus on releasing Horizon online by 2025.
Media Molecule: Please make a game this time.
Housemarque: Focus on making a game with a broader appeal than a roguelike. So much potential in this studio but if they're going bigger (seems like it) got to ensure it sells more than Returnal.
Firesprite: Just focus on releasing a game. Got too big too fast. Need to something to build on for the future of the studio.
Polyphony Digital: GT8
Team Asobi: Hopefully new Astrobot game this year.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Oops. That sucks.

Outside of Helldivers and near guaranteed successes with tentpole sequels, Sony has done so poorly these past few years. Will Haven, Firewalk, Firesprite, and Fabrick even exist next year?

darkknightkryta

Oops. That sucks.

Outside of Helldivers and near guaranteed successes with tentpole sequels, Sony has done so poorly these past few years. Will Haven, Firewalk, Firesprite, and Fabrick even exist next year?
I doubt it.  Better question should be, who okayed those purchases without them releasing something?

the-pi-guy

Within the company, there is a growing expectation that senior company leadership will leave in droves in the summer of 2026 when the final payouts from Sony's acquisition of the company take effect. With this in mind, there is a strong push to get Marathon out the door before then, and let whoever takes the reins after that (be it Sony or Bungie) worry about how it's sustained.
When Sony acquired Bungie, the studio brought with it a number of other incubation projects, including a MOBA-like game codenamed Gummy Bears and a new IP known as Matter. According to sources, Matter was canceled back in 2020, but the team continued working on a similar project with slightly different direction until that too was canceled in late 2022. Gummy Bears, meanwhile, is currently in a holding pattern due to the ongoing company struggles.

IGN

Email shared by a YouTuber:

Hey there,

I'm writing this on a throwaway. Please use this info to corroborate other sources you may have.

Internal perspective at Sony is very negative towards Bungie right now. It is seen as a failed investment and strategies being discusses[sic] revolve around more of recouping losses. One internal leader from US is fighting to take over to right the ship, while many others across the Pacific want a much harsher method. The former US leader holds a lot of respect from overseas leadership, so it is likely (s)he will get their way. That person's perspective is that there are a many 'gluttonous' executives at Bungie who are not doing their jobs and are hindering the organization. It is believed that the workers are skilled, but the leadership is unable to perform their duties.

Bungie is in a hard spot, because pre-order numbers are lower than anticipated. I apologize, I do not have details on actual numbers. Sony believes that the finances will not allow Bungie to avoid a takeover even with another round of layoffs, as that would cannibalize development and future revenue.

Overall, Sony has been very upset at Bungie leadership. They have not been able to successfully advise Sony teams, and while Lightfall hit internal revenue targets, every target since has been missed at an escalating decline. Bungie leadership regularly reschedule meetings with Sony leadership, know that the next timeslot can be months away.

I hope this sheds light for ongoings from Sony's side. It is believed that the takeover would allow Sony to turn Destiny into a more profitable game. This sounds bad, but it is being treated as 'lightning in a bottle'. Sony leadership wants to nurture the game, and understand that more aggressive monetization would not be healthy. There would be a monetization model switch, though, as it is believed the current model is too confusing. The main difference between the US leader vs Japan leaders getting their way matters more for Bungie's in-development titles. If Japan leadership gets their way, teams for future titles will be gutted and reformed.
Reddit

Legend

Dang that's bad. Hopefully bungie survives.

kitler53

destiny's gameplay was amazing but i'm destiny is a very tired game at this point.  time to move on.   especially the business model...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up