Uncharted 4: Thieves at the end.

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, May 13, 2016, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

May 13, 2016, 11:01 PM Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:05 PM by the-pi-guy
How come you disagree about melee? Reading other impressions it seems to be a pretty universal complaint.
I disagree that Uncharted 3 perfected it.  I felt like Uncharted 2 perfected it and 3 tried to do a little more with it.  Still fantastic.  Not what you thought. 
I just finished the game, and was having a really bad headache and didn't want to explain.  Sorry.  :P

I felt melee felt great, but there were times when the controls were purposefully limited that bothered me. 

Legend

I personally think it's not a huge problem because there's only a couple scenes at the beginning where you actually need to use it, other than that it's just one of a couple options you have for taking out enemies (clearly one of the worse options but shouldn't that be obvious since you are fighting enemies with fire arms?) and for that it is perfectly servicable. The game doesn't need combos or something imo.
But Uncharted 3 had such good melee!

I always play action games with melee since I get too obsessed with conserving ammo. My problem with U4 is that melee doesn't flow well.

In fact on crushing it's a huge problem in general. Animations can't be excited out. Also if you're on a ledge and a guy goes to stomp your fingers, you can't dodge it by dropping down. Game pops you back up on the ledge regardless of where you've moved to.

Legend

end game kinda
Spoiler for Hidden:

Pacing wise, I think it was the 2nd best.  
Uncharted 2 I felt was just perfect, absolutely perfect in that regard.  
Uncharted 3 though, just felt bleh.  There was a substantial part of the game where I just felt like "when does this part end?"  "I'm pretty sure I've been in this ship/shipyard/etc area for the past hour.  WHY?"
Pacing wise I would probably put it
2>4>1>3 (Not sure if 1 or 3 should be switched, but overall that's about how it feels.)
Uncharted 4's pacing didn't feel perfect, but I can't complain about any of it.  

On the borrowed material note, there were a bunch of things that I remember thinking "oh that's just like Uncharted 2!"  or something like that. Some of them were really small things too.  

Uncharted 4 personally had me more excited than almost any of the others.  I just felt like I needed to know what was going on with the island.  I had an idea, but I just needed to know if it was right.  I just don't think I had that type of excitement during 3 at all.  

We have a thread for this Pi  ::)

My problem with the pacing was chapters 12, 13, 14, and 15 were all just a big block without any story or significant change in environment. I stopped playing my first night on chapter 14 since nothing was really pulling me to push forward and stay up late. "when does this part end? I'm pretty sure I've been in this jungle/pirate city/etc area for the past few hours.  WHY?"

I liked the ship graveyard from 3. Didn't feel long at all to me.

I'd rank them 2>1>3>4 for pacing.

What did you want to learn about the island? That was my biggest and only let down with the game, since the island lacked any mysteries. I kept making theories about what twist could happen but those never came to fruition.

Replaying the end I just can't get the song and imagery out of my head. The main Uncharted theme from the past was a great song for adventure and discovery, but this one oozes action. U4 has the best explosions too.

Xevross

May 14, 2016, 07:54 AM Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:56 AM by Xevross
My problem with the pacing was chapters 12, 13, 14, and 15 were all just a big block without any story or significant change in environment. I stopped playing my first night on chapter 14 since nothing was really pulling me to push forward and stay up late. "when does this part end? I'm pretty sure I've been in this jungle/pirate city/etc area for the past few hours.  WHY?"

What did you want to learn about the island? That was my biggest and only let down with the game, since the island lacked any mysteries. I kept making theories about what twist could happen but those never came.

Yeah this was definitely the low point of the game. Either side of the tower collapse, confrontation with Rafe and the flashback (from waking up on the rocks in the storm to when you find the 10 dead founders) the game got repetitive at points. Mainly because it was the same environments, puzzles and encounters over and over again for a bit.

I think if those chapters were cut short and instead there was an extra destination before Madagascar the game would be a lot better in the eyes of people who are doubting it. If the puzzle in Scotland led you somewhere totally different like a desert or anywhere which looks different to a jungle then that would have been good. Solve some puzzles there, enjoy the varied environment then get a clue which leads you to the volcano jeep trail. That would add an extra couple of hours and they could remove some of the repetitive island section in its place.

I hated the ship graveyard in U3. That's by far the worst section in any of Naughty Dog's last four games. It felt like such a waste of time, nothing even happened there, it was just filler to make to the game longer. The story didn't want us to go there. It just wasn't important. It was a drab environment and some of its encounters were annoyingly hard.

Pacing ranks 2>4>1>3 for me. While 4 does get repetitive at points I think its still paced well because those bits are split up by action pieces, story and exploration. Also the early game up to the boat flashback and the late game after finding the 10 founders was perfection in terms of pacing.

I just found the island bit extremely interesting. I really wanted to know what happened to the pirates and why. Yeah there was no twist but it was interesting enough, and it was more about the characters.

the-pi-guy

We have a thread for this Pi  ::)
My problem with the pacing was chapters 12, 13, 14, and 15 were all just a big block without any story or significant change in environment. I stopped playing my first night on chapter 14 since nothing was really pulling me to push forward and stay up late. "when does this part end? I'm pretty sure I've been in this jungle/pirate city/etc area for the past few hours.  WHY?"
What did you want to learn about the island? That was my biggest and only let down with the game, since the island lacked any mysteries. I kept making theories about what twist could happen but those never came to fruition. 
Replaying the end I just can't get the song and imagery out of my head. The main Uncharted theme from the past was a great song for adventure and discovery, but this one oozes action. U4 has the best explosions too.
I didn't like it.  It was like an hour and a half (at least) where the only things I remember happening are a set piece and finding out that Sully was not actually being held by this guy.  I don't think anything else "substantial" happened.  Overall I get the feeling the shipyard/ship afterward part was pretty much just put in to have a gigantic ship flipping over set piece.  Maybe I forgot something, but I remember the feeling of wanting it to be done like half way through.  I might have gotten that feeling for like 10 minutes towards the end of 4, but nothing like the ~hour or so that I had in Uncharted 3.  Maybe there was something else that I was enjoying that pacing didn't really bother me during those slower chapters.  I just know that I had the complete opposite feeling during Uncharted 3.  Maybe I was just having more fun that I didn't mind or maybe something else.  But even replaying the shipyard/ship section after, it didn't feel much better then either.

I don't remember when stuff happened exactly.  I kept wondering what happened on the island.  Invaders?  Colony revolt?  I kept wanting to know what happened.  Was there some new pirate who was unhappy with everyone else?  That might not be a big enough mystery, but it was enough for me to be interested and keep going.  Maybe there wasn't some gigantic twist, but I just loved watching Avery's madness unfold towards the end.  I loved learning about the colony's ending. 

Yeah this was definitely the low point of the game. Either side of the tower collapse, confrontation with Rafe and the flashback (from waking up on the rocks in the storm to when you find the 10 dead founders) the game got repetitive at points. Mainly because it was the same environments, puzzles and encounters over and over again for a bit.

I think if those chapters were cut short and instead there was an extra destination before Madagascar the game would be a lot better in the eyes of people who are doubting it. If the puzzle in Scotland led you somewhere totally different like a desert or anywhere which looks different to a jungle then that would have been good. Solve some puzzles there, enjoy the varied environment then get a clue which leads you to the volcano jeep trail. That would add an extra couple of hours and they could remove some of the repetitive island section in its place.

I hated the ship graveyard in U3. That's by far the worst section in any of Naughty Dog's last four games. It felt like such a waste of time, nothing even happened there, it was just filler to make to the game longer. The story didn't want us to go there. It just wasn't important. It was a drab environment and some of its encounters were annoyingly hard.

Pacing ranks 2>4>1>3 for me. While 4 does get repetitive at points I think its still paced well because those bits are split up by action pieces, story and exploration. Also the early game up to the boat flashback and the late game after finding the 10 founders was perfection in terms of pacing.

I just found the island bit extremely interesting. I really wanted to know what happened to the pirates and why. Yeah there was no twist but it was interesting enough, and it was more about the characters.
Are you me?!  :o

Xevross

I didn't like it.  It was like an hour and a half (at least) where the only things I remember happening are a set piece and finding out that Sully was not actually being held by this guy.  I don't think anything else "substantial" happened.  Overall I get the feeling the shipyard/ship afterward part was pretty much just put in to have a gigantic ship flipping over set piece.  Maybe I forgot something, but I remember the feeling of wanting it to be done like half way through.  I might have gotten that feeling for like 10 minutes towards the end of 4, but nothing like the ~hour or so that I had in Uncharted 3.  Maybe there was something else that I was enjoying that pacing didn't really bother me during those slower chapters.  I just know that I had the complete opposite feeling during Uncharted 3.  Maybe I was just having more fun that I didn't mind or maybe something else.  But even replaying the shipyard/ship section after, it didn't feel much better then either.

I don't remember when stuff happened exactly.  I kept wondering what happened on the island.  Invaders?  Colony revolt?  I kept wanting to know what happened.  Was there some new pirate who was unhappy with everyone else?  That might not be a big enough mystery, but it was enough for me to be interested and keep going.  Maybe there wasn't some gigantic twist, but I just loved watching Avery's madness unfold towards the end.  I loved learning about the colony's ending.  
Are you me?!  :o
:o I agree! The shipyard was basically there for the set piece. The bit on the ship was enjoyable but the yard getting to it shouldn't have existed. There'd still be a set piece but no poorly executed build up.

:o  same!! I loved finding out about Avery

:o

Yes Pi.

Yes I am.

ethomaz

May 17, 2016, 04:18 AM Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:22 AM by ethomaz
No complain.

Loved all chapters.

And something I realized that Nate did make sure to forget everything about his brother... the young flashback in 3 shows that... that is why no brother is hinted.

And from what I understand the flashbacks in Uncharted are told like the character remember it and not what really happened.

That proved true when the Sam's flashback was a lie.

It is just perfect... a hell of details that fits each other since first game... U4 is really the best for me.

Legend

I think my issue is not just that I found some parts less than amazing, but that I actively dislike things they did.

No supernatural anythings sucks. It's bad for story (imo since it's something I loved in past Uncharteds) and it's bad for gameplay. The only enemies are humans.

Also really disliked how the second half didn't have any twists or suprises. The game has incredible moments but from Madagascar on the overarching story felt liked it dragged on. Madagascar was when I stopped really searching for treasures because I was wanting to push forward with the story. Yet outside of the flashbacks, there really wasn't one. At every moment you're thinking "OMG what happens next" but it's just more of the same.

Like in the tower in Madagascar when Sam runs ahead and Sully makes a comment about it. I expected this to lead to something bigger but it didn't.

Same with the bones in the caves. What did they lead to? Nothing. Or rescuing Sam even. You and Elena meet up with him only for it to not matter.

It's totally fine for not everything to led to something bigger, but in the second half nothing led to anything. The last 2/3 of the game had less "story" than the first third.

Again U4 has so many fantastic scenes and moments, but it lacks a bigger adventure story like Indiana Jones movies. Could you imagine how long the last half would have felt without the flashback chapter?

Story just isn't something I'd expect an Uncharted game to skimp on.

the-pi-guy

I think my issue is not just that I found some parts less than amazing, but that I actively dislike things they did.

No supernatural anythings sucks. It's bad for story (imo since it's something I loved in past Uncharteds) and it's bad for gameplay. The only enemies are humans.
I liked the supernatural stuff but I don't feel it's any way necessary.  It's not exactly something I associate with Uncharted because that aspect made-up very small part of the first two games.  In a lot of ways for me, the Avery stuff replaced that.  
Also really disliked how the second half didn't have any twists or suprises. The game has incredible moments but from Madagascar on the overarching story felt liked it dragged on. Madagascar was when I stopped really searching for treasures because I was wanting to push forward with the story. Yet outside of the flashbacks, there really wasn't one. At every moment you're thinking "OMG what happens next" but it's just more of the same.
I'm still a little hung up by what you mean by this.  I don't really need twists. The pirate city stuff more than made up for it for me.  The little things like apparently there's a rebellion, but we don't know who's running it; Avery and Tew apparently killed all their friends; watching all these insane little things that Avery starts doing with the arms and the etc.  
Like in the tower in Madagascar when Sam runs ahead and Sully makes a comment about it. I expected this to lead to something bigger but it didn't.

Same with the bones in the caves. What did they lead to? Nothing. Or rescuing Sam even. You and Elena meet up with him only for it to not matter.
That's what the DLC is for.  ;)
I'm not really sure what mattering really entails.  You are talking about when Sam decides to run back and get the treasure, yes?  It would be fairly anticlimactic for that not to happen.  The game would pretty much have to right there. "I got Sam but did not even see the treasure and the bad guy wins" is okay, but it's not what I would want.   At worst it's a "he's not quite saved get because he's obsessed with the treasure" moment.  Because of that moment of his treasure-needing, we get led into a fight with Rafe.  We get a little bit of insight into both characters by what they decided to do.  We get to see Nadine decide she would rather live than continue the treasure collecting.  Maybe it could use a bit more but overall I think it was a very fun ending to Drake's story.

It's totally fine for not everything to led to something bigger, but in the second half nothing led to anything. The last 2/3 of the game had less "story" than the first third.

Again U4 has so many fantastic scenes and moments, but it lacks a bigger adventure story like Indiana Jones movies. Could you imagine how long the last half would have felt without the flashback chapter?

Story just isn't something I'd expect an Uncharted game to skimp on.

BananaKing

May 24, 2016, 09:27 AM Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:29 AM by NotBananaKing
am i the only one who absolutly loved that there wasnt any super natural elements to the game? i feel every uncharted would have been better if they didnt have it (except 2 maybe)

Okay so apparently the internet says that Nate was 15 in Uncharted 3 when he made his way to Columbia after leaving the orphanage. Which I guess fits but it's still odd that a brother was never around or mentioned at the age of 15 when he should have been there in probably have been his Guardian. Then again we didn't play much of young Nate in Uncharted 3.

And I guess I also find it odd that at the end of the game when you're playing as her daughter they were trying to hide all his past Adventures. But at the same time she picks up the magazine where it's her holding a treasure and it says that it runs in the family. So there should have been some sort of clue that she knew of her fathers passed before right then.
i felt the same way. what ads to it is that his adventures are known, because rafe talks about them and how people mentioned that Drake was a legend. so its clear his adventures are well known.

the-pi-guy

May 24, 2016, 01:47 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:49 PM by the-pi-guy
Like Legend said, she was more surprised about the gun, (illegal adventures). 

Additionally the group that Rafe socializes with is very different from the group she does. 

What they know, the types of things they share, etc

ethomaz

May 24, 2016, 04:17 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:26 PM by ethomaz
I guess they hide from her the dangerous things.

I liked it without supernatural in the main campaign.

But I loved the supernatural powers in MP... so fun.

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  With the tetralogy complete, which is the best Uncharted game? SERIES SPOILERS

2>=4>1>3
 I'm having a hard time, right now deciding whether 2 or 4 is better.  
 Uncharted 1 was a very simple adventure game. Everything takes place on the same island for better and for worse. I think the mystery part towards the end was one of the better
 Uncharted 2 was perfection.  The gameplay felt perfect, everything Uncharted 1 was, but perfected.  I felt that the melee was perfect for what it was.  I feel the later games did a lot more with melee, but it didn't quite feel like it was there yet.  The pacing was fantastic.  I can't think of any game that had better pacing.  Always felt like there was something.  The train level, falling skyscraper, helicopters, these were amazing. They feel more genuine than Uncharted 3's set pieces.  The gameplay felt perfect, the story felt great.  The story wasn't some deep adventure, but it was absolutely brilliantly told.  Loved the train for so many reasons.  Love the fact that we start on it, climbing up.  And we find ourselves catching up to the story, and find ourselves on the train again.  Maybe it hasn't even quite clicked at that point, but when it does it's awesome.  The set pieces in Uncharted 2, they feel deeper than they do in 3.  I loved it and played it 10 times start to finish. And quite frankly I could keep going on about what I loved about 2, Tenzin levels, Jeff, and more.  
 Uncharted 3, felt like it was trying to make Drake's story a much deeper one.  But I feel like it didn't quite get it.  The first time I played, Cutter for example just felt like a random guy.  Which seems like a poor introduction to a character who you spend the next several chapters with.  Honestly, playing the second time makes the game feel better for this and a few other reasons.  The most bothersome part in the game was during the shipwreck section.  It just felt like a really long section just to set up a set piece.  Like an hour, hour and a half of the game in this one part.  I think the only thing that really ends up happening during this section was that we find out that Sully is not actually there.  Aside from that, the ship set piece, though it's really cool; doesn't feel as genuine as the set pieces that we had in Uncharted 2.  It feels avoidable.  For me this section, was the only section in the entire Uncharted series where I was wanting it to be done.  Aside from that, the game is very good; a little different at times, but it's great.  
 Uncharted 4, now that I'm thinking about it is difficult to place.  I feel like it does a much better job at making a deep story than Uncharted 3, which set up the story for it.  It also feels like for the most part it has some of the best pacing in the franchise.  Uncharted 2 still easily tops it pacing wise.  There were some parts that felt longer than they should have been, but not to the extent that I felt in Uncharted 3.  Melee feels mixed here.  In some ways it feels better than 3, and other ways it feels worse.  Don't know how to explain it.  One complaint I have with the melee is that there were some fights where it almost felt like Nate was being held back.  Like for some reason, he isn't as good of a fighter when he's fight Nadine as he usually is.  Which feels off.  There was some great character stuff here, with Elena, Drake, that was amazing.  Shooting feels great, just like it was in 2.  
 I think overall right now, Uncharted 2 is probably on average a better game personally, but there are a couple of incredibly fantastic moments in 4 that probably put it up to a tie.

Go Up