Uncharted 4: Thieves at the end.

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, May 13, 2016, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

This thread is Full of Spoilers. This is an unmarked free discussion of Uncharted 4. If you have not finished the game turn back now. You've been Warned.

Did you Finish the game? NO, Why are you still here?

Okay, Let's talk Uncharted 4.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Spoilers tags are fine, But I'd have to write in all spoilers which I hate or insert them all over the place.

Anyway, @Legend.

It's a great game for sure, the sword fight at the end was my favorite in the series. Way better than the boss of two, which was a pain in the dog. Right there with the fist fight of 1.

There's so much that was great about this game, but was it the ending it deserved?  Sure, for the series it was the perfect ending. But I was expecting something tragic. And it didn't happen. They said it would be the last one with Nathan Drake, But the didn't close the book on that either. There's nothing stopping them from having another adventure.

Did they screw up the past from 3? He meet sully when he was a kid in a foreign country but he seemed younger, which would have put him before the orphanage which was in the states, and with out word of a brother. So how did he go from being an orphan in another country to the states with a brother. They made no mention of sully during that time.

Legend

May 13, 2016, 02:40 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:42 AM by Legend
Yeah someone should have died, or at least something unexpected. I really really started hoping for pirate ghosts when Elena joked about it.

I didn't realise the orphanage was in America. Works fine with plot though. Nate escapes orphanage and goes to Colombia. Down there is where he meets Sully. Uncharted 3 nate looked a fair amount older to me.

Didn't like how Sam was thrown into the mix though. Felt like he logically should have been in Colombia with Nate.

I just don't get why Naughty Dog pulled a 180 on Nate's character and decided he was treasure obsessed. It was the worst part about 3 and it came back a bit here too. In Uncharted 1 and 2 he had no problem walking away from fortune.

Also if you guys didn't spot this.

The last of us american daughters

Mmm_fish_tacos

I have no problem with his brother being thrown in there after all we wouldn't have had a story without it or it would have been one that was vastly different.

Legend

I would have preffered his brother was estranged or something as kids. Nit picking but Rafe felt so much less retcon ish.

Mmm_fish_tacos

May 13, 2016, 03:10 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:12 AM by Mmm_fish_tacos
Okay so apparently the internet says that Nate was 15 in Uncharted 3 when he made his way to Columbia after leaving the orphanage. Which I guess fits but it's still odd that a brother was never around or mentioned at the age of 15 when he should have been there in probably have been his Guardian. Then again we didn't play much of young Nate in Uncharted 3.

And I guess I also find it odd that at the end of the game when you're playing as her daughter they were trying to hide all his past Adventures. But at the same time she picks up the magazine where it's her holding a treasure and it says that it runs in the family. So there should have been some sort of clue that she knew of her fathers passed before right then.

Legend

Okay so apparently the internet says that Nate was 15 in Uncharted 3 when he made his way to Columbia after leaving the orphanage. Which I guess fits but it's still odd that a brother was never around or mentioned at the age of 15 when he should have been there in probably have been his Guardian. Then again we didn't play much of young Nate in Uncharted 3.

And I guess I also find it odd that at the end of the game when you're playing as her daughter they were trying to hide all his past Adventures. But at the same time she picks up the magazine where it's her holding a treasure and it says that it runs in the family. So there should have been some sort of clue that she knew of her fathers passed before right then.
No at the end they only hid the illegal adventures. She was suprised Nate had a shotgun, not that he explored stuff.

Legend

I'm on chapter 17 with my second playthrough on crushing.

I'm narrowing down my feels.

Think the lack of a twist/surprise is pretty much my only major issue with the game. Elena faking her death was probably my favorite story moment in the second half just because it was completely out of nowhere.

Xevross

May 13, 2016, 06:57 AM Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:00 AM by Xevross

Think the lack of a twist/surprise is pretty much my only major issue with the game. Elena faking her death was probably my favorite story moment in the second half just because it was completely out of nowhere.
Wow you're getting through crushing quickly! I've been playing all the trials in multiplayer and I'll do my replay later, I've got too many exams coming up.

I don't think big twists are ND's thing. They've never really done a big unexpected twist that I can remember.

I just don't get why Naughty Dog pulled a 180 on Nate's character and decided he was treasure obsessed. It was the worst part about 3 and it came back a bit here too. In Uncharted 1 and 2 he had no problem walking away from fortune.

Also if you guys didn't spot this.

The last of us american daughters
I don't think they did that at all. Nate only ever cared about Sam. He went after the treasure because he thought he was saving Sam and then when he knew the truth he only wanted to get Sam and leave. Yes he had fun solving the puzzles and searching for the treasure but he was no way treasure obsessed.

Legend

Wow you're getting through crushing quickly! I've been playing all the trials in multiplayer and I'll do my replay later, I've got too many exams coming up.

I don't think big twists are ND's thing. They've never really done a big unexpected twist that I can remember.
I don't think they did that at all. Nate only ever cared about Sam. He went after the treasure because he thought he was saving Sam and then when he knew the truth he only wanted to get Sam and leave. Yes he had fun solving the puzzles and searching for the treasure but he was no way treasure obsessed.
U1, 2, 3, and GA all had twists and turns. Zombies, radioactive gold, yetis, magic sap, fire spirits, etc. They all had mysteries to unravel.

In 3 he was treasure obsessed but in this one they at least pushed it more towards adventure obsessed. IE him freaking out about the pirate lore while Elena keeps giving him angry eyes.

GAF

Riderz1337

Sam lying about Hector was a plot twist. Mostly because you actually played as him during his escape sequence so it really didn't feel like there was a reason to lie about it.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

Legend

Sam lying about Hector was a plot twist. Mostly because you actually played as him during his escape sequence so it really didn't feel like there was a reason to lie about it.
I mean me and my brother saw that coming in one form or another, but that was a narrative twist not a plot twist. It didn't change the direction the game was heading.

Same with learning Avery and 2 backstabed each other. It was new info but didn't affect the gameplay.

the-pi-guy

Perfect ending.  

Needs a run button/move at full speed button. Lots of times in wide open areas I feel artificially sluggish when there's no good reason. Makes exploring annoying.
Wide linear isn't fun during platforming sections. It basically causes the game to feel like a maze where you're just bumbling along. Countless times I'd think I was exploring a path in the area when suddenly I'd pop into the next game section.
Minor but the scratch marks showing where to go felt out of place.
Pacing was horrible. Started slow but felt like it was really building up. Then the middle happened and it was just a long drawl till Elena showed up.
No supernatural twist/lack of enemy variety.
Felt unoriginal. So many scenes felt like copies from past Uncharted games. I really noticed this in Scotland when Nate hears through the cracked floor Nadine and Rafe talking. In Uncharted Drake's Fortune he overhears through the cracked floor Navarro and Roman talking. The break in scene in Italy with Sam felt so similar to the prison break in from Uncharted 2. Car chasing you down is from Uncharted 2 and TLOU.
Took a long time to get going. I loved the slow pace of the beginning, but the gameplay itself took a while. It wasn't until Chapter 7 that stealth and marking were finally introduced.
No twist or surprise or anything really. From Chapter 13 on the game feels predictable with the overarching story. Elena showing up was the most unexpected thing.
Bonuses are gimped once again. As far as I can tell, you can't replay the game as skelzor.
Melee feels the worst in the series. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with it, but it killed me so many times. IMO Uncharted 3 perfected melee so it's jarring for the series to go backwards.
Game lacked awesome set pieces.  Things collapsed, and things collapsed, and more things collapsed. There was never any moment that felt new to the franchise.
Most of these are okay.  I don't agree about the melee though or the pacing.  

Legend

Perfect ending.  
Most of these are okay.  I don't agree about the melee though or the pacing.  
How come you disagree about melee? Reading other impressions it seems to be a pretty universal complaint.

DerNebel

How come you disagree about melee? Reading other impressions it seems to be a pretty universal complaint.
I personally think it's not a huge problem because there's only a couple scenes at the beginning where you actually need to use it, other than that it's just one of a couple options you have for taking out enemies (clearly one of the worse options but shouldn't that be obvious since you are fighting enemies with fire arms?) and for that it is perfectly servicable. The game doesn't need combos or something imo.

Go Up