I need PC advice. Buying a PC for graphics drawing.

Started by SWORDF1SH, Oct 05, 2016, 04:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

So I know nothing about PCs so I need a bit of advice.

My nephew who is 13 is getting a computer. The budget is £1,000 and he needs to also have a drawing thingy for doing graphics included within the budget. Being 13 it needs to be relatively easy to use. It can either be a home computer or laptop.

Legend

Are you wanting to buy something off the shelf or is he interested in building one?

Home computers are usually better if you don't care about portability.

Mmm_fish_tacos

So I know nothing about PCs so I need a bit of advice.

My nephew who is 13 is getting a computer. The budget is £1,000 and he needs to also have a drawing thingy for doing graphics included within the budget. Being 13 it needs to be relatively easy to use. It can either be a home computer or laptop.
Sounds like it might be best for you to opt for the surface pro 4.

SWORDF1SH

Oct 05, 2016, 05:31 PM Last Edit: Oct 05, 2016, 05:38 PM by SWORDF1SH
Are you wanting to buy something off the shelf or is he interested in building one?

Off the shelf and portability isn't an issue

Sounds like it might be best for you to opt for the surface pro 4.
My sister said she suggested the surface Pro but a friend said not to bother. To be honest her friend probably doesn't know what he's talking about. What would you suggest for the drawing pad?

Mmm_fish_tacos

Well the surface pro 4 is a drawing pad. It comes with a pen and for your budget its the best option out there. Drawing directly on the screen is far better than having a disjointed tablet like a wacom bamboo or something simular.  

Wacom tablet pcs start at 1400 and go up from there.

SWORDF1SH

Well the surface pro 4 is a drawing pad. It comes with a pen and for your budget its the best option out there. Drawing directly on the screen is far better than having a disjointed tablet like a wacom bamboo or something simular.  

Wacom tablet pcs start at 1400 and go up from there.
What software would you use for drawing and at what cost?

Mmm_fish_tacos

What software would you use for drawing and at what cost?
Sketchbook is nice and photoshop of course.

I got Sketchbook for free with my wacom so i dont know. and i think photoshop is 9 bucks a a month.  

Heres a speedpainting and a surface pro to give you a better idea.

Lordfancypants

I agree on the surface pro option.
Is this where I talk favorably about myself?

SWORDF1SH

What desktop and sketch pad combo would you recommend for £1,000 ( not sure dollar equivalent). And how does it compare to surface pro?

Legend

What desktop and sketch pad combo would you recommend for £1,000 ( not sure dollar equivalent). And how does it compare to surface pro?
Surface pro is great. Both my siblings have one.

I just mentally read the thread title as graphics AND drawing. If he doesn't care about playing video games, surface pro seems like the way to go.

SWORDF1SH

Surface pro is great. Both my siblings have one.

I just mentally read the thread title as graphics AND drawing. If he doesn't care about playing video games, surface pro seems like the way to go.
What would you recommend if he did want to game as well

Legend

What would you recommend if he did want to game as well
Surface pro can game. It's just not a graphics champ.

SWORDF1SH

Surface pro can game. It's just not a graphics champ.
Does it have to be Pro 4 or are older models somewhere near?

Mmm_fish_tacos

Does it have to be Pro 4 or are older models somewhere near?
3 is the oldest you can go.

But the 4 is superior for drawing.  

GribbleGrunger

You need to ask CGI-Quality.