Switch Software Sales Ver 3.0

Started by Cute Pikachu, Sep 21, 2018, 07:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Cute Pikachu

Sep 21, 2018, 07:18 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2018, 07:51 PM by Cute Pikachu
Welcome to Switch Software Sales Version 3.0!

Things changed for this version:

+More updated sales data
+More game variety sales data
+Cleaner and more professional presentation

Sources:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/index.html
https://nintendoeverything.com/

This version will divide sales data into First Party and Third Party. First party includes anything created and/or published by Nintendo worldwide. Third Party is all other software released on Nintendo Switch consoles. Let's Begin!

First Party

Other Sales Information
-Octopath Traveler reaches 1 million shipped worldwide(as of August 3, 2018)
-Pokken Tournament Reaches 1.16 million in shipments in the West(As of March 31, 2018)
-Bayonetta 1 and 2 for Nintendo Switch sells about 400k to customers(As of Late April 2018)
-Labo is at 1.39 Million All sets(As of June 30, 2018)

*Updated as of June 30, 1018*

Regarding 1st Party Sales Date(Analysis):

It is Important to note that this data is of course constantly changing with each financial report, However when comparing the data of these software titles to past Nintendo titles there is correlation with only a select few. These two mostly being the SNES, and the Wii. Due to the hardcore nature of the SNES many gam es produced by Nintendo were able to reach large audiences, games such as F-zero, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Super Mario World, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. Wii has its comparisons with Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess. These three consoles in common show similar attributes in increasing the sales potential for major titles on the system. For example, Mario Tennis Aces had the strongest debut for a tennis game ever according to Mat of the NPD group when talking about June 2018 NPD. The best selling Mario Tennis game is the N64 version which is slightly if not somewhat past 2.5 million. With this start, Mario Tennis Aces can quickly catch up and become the best selling game in the spin off franchise. Trends for why software is selling strongly on switch revolves around three important points: userbase, hardware, quality. According to the NPD Group, 70% of all Switch hardware owners in the U.S(we will use the biggest switch market for antiquating research) also owned a PS4 or Xbox One. With this, the large majority of Switch owners are hardcore gamers. With hardcore gamers, interest in games is stronger compared to the casual minded natures of the WII and Wii U. Hardware is the next aspect and can easily be explained by the strong suits of a hybrid consolw. People being able to play games on the go that are console quality add more to a game then what we initially realized. Game quality is obvious as Nintendo games tend to have strong gameplay mechanics and finish overall. This is the end of the analysis statement.

Third Party

Axiom Verge is a Success:

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch Crosses 500k Lifetime shipments:
Total sales for the Switch version of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, including both physical and digital sales, have topped 500,000 copies worldwide, Bandai Namco announced.
Bandai Namco noted that there has been a shortage of stock in Japan, and asked that fans please wait a little longer as more copies of the game are planned to ship in early February.
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 first launched for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in October 2016, followed by Switch in September 2017.

Read more at Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch sales top 500,000 - Gematsu

Skyrim and Doom Confirmed for Success
A game like Doom or Skyrim or Wolf II that there is an audience for those games on those consoles. We've seen that so far. Nintendo's been really pleased obviously, and we didn't have a crystal ball to know, 'Oh this will definitely their best-selling thing', but we saw it early, we felt like there was something we could support and our games would resonate, and they have, and obviously Nintendo's crushing it with their hardware sales which is great." -Pete Hines
Hollow Knight is a Big Success
Team Cherry's Hollow Knight has sold more than 250,000 units on Nintendo Switch, in less than two weeks since it launched.
Hollow Knight is also more proof that Nintendo Switch can be a very lucrative platform for games that have already been on the market for months, and even years. In April, Yacht Club Games said that the Switch version of Shovel Knight was making more money than any other platform.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-03-hollow-knight-sold-250-000-in-two-weeks-on-nintendo-switch

Fortnite is Downloaded 2 Million+ Times in 1 Day

Will continue to update over time.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Xevross

The craziest one for me is Splatoon 2 at over 6 million. That's crazy for such a new franchise. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and BOTW are going to be near the top for the rest of the gen I feel, and they all very much deserve it.

Cute Pikachu

The craziest one for me is Splatoon 2 at over 6 million. That's crazy for such a new franchise. Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and BOTW are going to be near the top for the rest of the gen I feel, and they all very much deserve it.
Yup Splatoon 2 will likely sell over 10 Million lifetime. It can now be considered an A tier Nintendo franchise.

Legend

Yup Splatoon 2 will likely sell over 10 Million lifetime. It can now be considered an A tier Nintendo franchise.
Are there any Splatoon 3 hints? I wonder if they'll try to keep it limited to one game per system or go for sequels every few years. I really want to see how it can grow.

I'm surprised ARMS is only 2 million. That's super great but leaves the future of the franchise uncertain.

Cute Pikachu

Are there any Splatoon 3 hints? I wonder if they'll try to keep it limited to one game per system or go for sequels every few years. I really want to see how it can grow.

I'm surprised ARMS is only 2 million. That's super great but leaves the future of the franchise uncertain.
Splatoon 3 probably won't happen  with this version of the Switch. 2 is selling too well to cut its legs. ARMs is interesting, while 2 Million for a new Ip is good, Nintendo cut its updates early maybe due to not breaking out? It's an interesting situation

darkknightkryta

I recon a Switch 2 in 3 more years, they'll launch with Splatoon 3.

Cute Pikachu

I recon a Switch 2 in 3 more years, they'll launch with Splatoon 3.
That's a good bet. Depends on how long they support Animal Crossing Switch since the teams do both.

Anyone can answer this, but in terms of third party, we saw last year has successes in the likes of Skyrim, DOOM, and Xenoverse 2?

What Third Parties do you guys expect to perform well this year or underperform.

What I think will do well:
Dragon Ball Fighter Z(Xenoverse 2 situation and Switch audience is buying fighting games)
Civilization 6 because this is the only console it's on.
NBA2k19 due to the sheer growth of user base in the US

Underperform:
Fifa19 lacking features again and no advertising, Monday will prove that in the UK.

Legend

That's a good bet. Depends on how long they support Animal Crossing Switch since the teams do both.

Anyone can answer this, but in terms of third party, we saw last year has successes in the likes of Skyrim, DOOM, and Xenoverse 2?

What Third Parties do you guys expect to perform well this year or underperform.

What I think will do well:
Dragon Ball Fighter Z(Xenoverse 2 situation and Switch audience is buying fighting games)
Civilization 6 because this is the only console it's on.
NBA2k19 due to the sheer growth of user base in the US

Underperform:
Fifa19 lacking features again and no advertising, Monday will prove that in the UK.
I don't know enough about sports or anime games, but Civ 6 should sell great. It's also just such a perfect game for that as long as the controls work well.

darkknightkryta

I don't foresee third party titles selling poorly until the end of the Switch's life.  In general, publishers have cut down the amount of titles they release per year.  This creates demand for new content.