How much RAM will next gen systems have?

Started by Legend, Jan 16, 2019, 07:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Everyone was shocked that PS4 and XB1 had 8 GB, even though it was a comparable leap to every previous gen. Will people be shocked again and get next gen systems with 64 GB of RAM or is it finally time for the increase to be minor?

Dr. Pezus

I'm guessing 16-32gb

kitler53

xbox one x as a mid-gen refresh only had 12 gb.  that's a sign that ps5 era hardware will only be 16 right?

...i think 32 though.   and would be very happy with 64.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

It really depends on requirements

Last gen was heavily constrained by ram, so the jump to 8 GB made sense.

Now however, with faster ram, is 64 GB really needed? I really really doubt that.

I'm thinking next gen is going to be 16gb, 24 max.

Xevross

Surely will be 16GB. Its not that pricey to get 16GB RAM now, and you don't really need any more than 16GB on a games console.

the-pi-guy

16 GB - 65%
24 GB - 30%
32 GB - 4%
40 GB - 0.9%
48 GB - 0.09%
56 GB - 0.009%
64 GB - 0.001%

Legend

Surely will be 16GB. Its not that pricey to get 16GB RAM now, and you don't really need any more than 16GB on a games console.
Maybe I am biased, but there are so many things you could do with more RAM. I'd love 64 GB if it was possible.

ethomaz

Xevross

Maybe I am biased, but there are so many things you could do with more RAM. I'd love 64 GB if it was possible.
Oh yeah? Like what?

the-pi-guy

Oh yeah? Like what?
More AI, textures, NPCs, etc.  
Imagine being able to run enough data to run 8 instances of Vizioneck!

Legend

Oh yeah? Like what?
3D textures.

A 1024*1024*1024 image buffer is around 4 gigabytes. A 2048*2048*2048 image buffer is around 34 gigabytes. If the memory is available and usable, these can be used for lots of things. Of course I primarily want them since they're pretty important for 4D games.

Xevross

More AI, textures, NPCs, etc.  
Imagine being able to run enough data to run 8 instances of Vizioneck!
Well yeah I guess it is just more. But games can already do so much with 8GB.

3D textures.

A 1024*1024*1024 image buffer is around 4 gigabytes. A 2048*2048*2048 image buffer is around 34 gigabytes. If the memory is available and usable, these can be used for lots of things. Of course I primarily want them since they're pretty important for 4D games.
How do 3D textures look different when playing a game, just better quality and it looks like they have a texture?

the-pi-guy

Think about how much more you could do with 64 GB!!  

Legend

How do 3D textures look different when playing a game, just better quality and it looks like they have a texture?
Full n*n*n 3D textures are used for volumetric effects and things like that. Other 3D textures save the lightfield so that it can be recreated in game. Here's an example from Fortnite and here's an old low res test I did using them: