Started by Legend, Sep 14, 2017, 03:34 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

End. not really a lot of stuff imo. Fun edning trailer

Xevross

Sounds like I made a good decision not to get up and watch this live :D

darkknightkryta

So a whole lot of nothing?  I'm disappointed in the lack of JRPG.  Now that FF, Persona, and Dragon Quest are out, there's literally nothing.

Legend

Sounds like I made a good decision not to get up and watch this live :D
Yeah it was really lame for me. Almost exclusively just Japanese games I don't care about, and on top of that it was just a trailer montage. Hopefully Paris games week is quirky.

DerNebel

Sep 19, 2017, 05:50 PM Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 06:02 PM by DerNebel
It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it also wasn't good, but it started at 9am here and I'm currently sick anyways, so it's not like it was a huge hassle for me to watch it..

Why did they pull out the freaking RDR2 trailer from 2016 for instance? And what is it with Sony and ending their TGS shows with new ads, they did the same thing last year I believe.

Still SotC still looks good to me, 13 Sentinels finally reappeared, Monster Hunter looks pretty great and that new Square Enix game they teased is at least intriguing to me.

Maybe it's just a difference in culture, maybe the japanese like their shows like this, but I really feel that if Sony actually bothered with it a little more, they could certainly make better TGS conferences. Work together more with 3rd parties for instance so they don't constantly reveal and show off their major games only at their own events.

the-pi-guy

Bad conference Sony strikes again.

DerNebel

Also I feel, and maybe I'm just being too hasty here, after all they've released 3 games in the last year, that Japan Studios is still not being utilized right by Sony.

They said at the end of the show that their goal was to get one PS4 in every household in Japan, while that goal is unrealistic as is, it certainly won't be achieved by new ads. Instead Sony needs to use their resources and position in the japanese market to finally try and make something big that is their own for Japan again and I believe Japan Studios is the key to that.

In my opinion the japanese market is one that is bursting with development talent, that is largely held back by low budgets and risk avers publishers. Sony with the success they are seeing in the last few years could be one of the few publishers to give talented creators the budget and development resources (thanks to the people at Japan Studios) to try and make something new, big and exciting for Japan (and possibly the world).

Instead they are giving Cerny a budget and team, so he can make a mediocre sequel to an awful first game, that's not going to sell for shame.

Creating a new hit like Splatoon is hard as hell, I fully understand that, but Sony has done such a phenomenal job positioning their western studios for far better success in recent years, that I'm honestly wondering why there hasn't been a comparable push for their japanese development arm.

But maybe I'm just being melodramatic and Japan Studios is currently cooking the next big thing, who knows, after all it took Sony until earlier this year apparently to realize that japanese games can very well be successful in the west as well.  

Legend

Bad conference Sony strikes again.
They can't keep getting away with it!

darkknightkryta

It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but it also wasn't good, but it started at 9am here and I'm currently sick anyways, so it's not like it was a huge hassle for me to watch it..

Why did they pull out the freaking RDR2 trailer from 2016 for instance? And what is it with Sony and ending their TGS shows with new ads, they did the same thing last year I believe.

Still SotC still looks good to me, 13 Sentinels finally reappeared, Monster Hunter looks pretty great and that new Square Enix game they teased is at least intriguing to me.

Maybe it's just a difference in culture, maybe the japanese like their shows like this, but I really feel that if Sony actually bothered with it a little more, they could certainly make better TGS conferences. Work together more with 3rd parties for instance so they don't constantly reveal and show off their major games only at their own events.
Maybe Third Parties in Japan would rather they unveil stuff at their own conferences?  Opposite would be for E3 as people don't really care much for other conferences, so you'd want to be at Sony's or MS (Though it's looking more and more like you'd just want to be at Sony's)

SWORDF1SH

Legend

darkknightkryta

Go Up