Facebook and the UNethics of human trafficking

Started by 7H3, Sep 08, 2014, 02:13 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ricksmith/2014/09/08/facebook-and-the-unethics-of-human-trafficking-2/?ss=philanthropy
...recently I discovered that Facebook has sold me out. In numerous ways, in fact.  Did you know that with the new Messenger app that Facebook has forced upon us, you have given Facebook the right to tap directly into your camera and microphone while using the app?  That's right, if you are reading this article from a Facebook link, a Facebook employee or two may be critiquing your new haircut right now. You may have guessed that Facebook uses your activity to predict your interests, and sells this information to advertisers. But did you also know that it's been reported that the user agreement not only gives Facebook access to your activity while on Facebook, it gives the company the right to monitor ALL of your online activity ALL of the time and on ANY devise where it is installed?!

Glad I didn't install the app and honestly more reason than ever for me to delete my FB account as I've been wanting to do lately...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

ethomaz

It is like any other messenger app (what's app)... if the data go to a server before to the client then the company have access to the data... ops every email account you agree with the same things.

It is just how the data is stored on the Cloud... the company behind the Cloud have access to it.

Said that... the app ask to have permission to your microphone or camera... you can allow or deny at least in iOS... if you deny you can't use them via app.