Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I bet Avengers will beat expectations and get like 250m or close to that
I bet Black Panther will be a boost for it.  
Yes I'm expecting around $245m, not too short of TFA. We'll see.

Black Panther will certainly have helped increase the potential audience for it. And Avengers is giving a boost to Black Panther this week as you can see ^^

Xevross

I liked Infinity War more as a film on the second viewing.

BananaKing

Soon we'll be talking about Infinity War's box office success (predicted at $230m opening weekend for NA by the way) but Black Panther is having an incredible week. Its actually up week over week, by a fair margin. It had a huge tuesday jump (+44%), and then only fell 7% on wednesday. That's unheard of. $700m domestic is back on the table.

You can see how crazy BP has been doing recently here Movie Showdown its currently doubling TFA's daily comparisons, and TFA made another $13m from here.
It seems the hype for avengers is helping push black panther slightly. People who don't want to go in and watch the avengers without knowing black panthers story might be going to watch it now

Xevross

$45m Thursday previews estimate for Infinity War. The Force Awaken's opening weekend record is under threat.

Xevross

There's talk of the worldwide opening weekend record falling. This would be the most impressive record if it could get it. Current record is Fast 7, which got $542m, including $180m from China where Infinity War is not opening yet. $540m+ without China would be absolutely bananas. The Force Awakens managed $529m without China as a reference.

Legend

I liked Infinity War more as a film on the second viewing.
You've already seen it twice? That's pretty impressive, it's still opening day!

Xevross

You've already seen it twice? That's pretty impressive, it's still opening day!
Lol yeah me and my friend watched it at midnight. I was staying with them until late evening as we're watching another friends University musical. We were gonna revise in the day until then but we were like oh god we're gonna have to see that again aren't we. So we watched it again at 12:30 :D

the-pi-guy

Lol yeah me and my friend watched it at midnight. I was staying with them until late evening as we're watching another friends University musical. We were gonna revise in the day until then but we were like oh god we're gonna have to see that again aren't we. So we watched it again at 12:30 :D
Was it packed?

Xevross

Was it packed?
Midnight showing the screen was 2/3 full. The most full I've ever seen a midnight release (more than TLJ and Rogue One). The midday showing on Thursday had barely anyone in, shockingly enough.

Xevross

Apr 27, 2018, 03:14 PM Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 03:36 PM by Xevross
Infinity War previews came in at $39m. Its hard to predict where it'll go from here but it seems TFA is safe domestically. Overseas IW is performing incredibly though. $95m by Thursday. Puts pre-friday WW total at $134m.

Edit: UK opening day came in at $8.9m, which is insanity. Over 80% more than Age of Ultron in £ equivalent. Noice.

Double edit: basically this reinforces the film is going for a solid $230m in NA (easy #2 of all time) but is going absolutely bonkers overseas. Despite doing worse than TFA in NA, it could still smash it WW and get the record due to how well its doing everywhere else.

Xevross

Apr 28, 2018, 12:52 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 02:07 PM by Xevross
Infinity War update. Seems like its going to land on $105-107m for Friday domestic. That would be smashing the 'true friday' record (friday numbers - thursday previews), and not too short of TFA's Friday total. If it does that, its almost certain to set new Saturday and Sunday records as well. TFA's record might be falling here.

That friday number is crazy. On the high end its $68m. Films like Jurassic World, TFA, The Avengers all topped out at around $63m, it was thought that was the limit. This could blow them away.

Edit: worldwide opening record is toast. Film is going absolutely bananas worldwide, setting records pretty much everywhere.

Xevross

So here's a stat. The all time full opening record is The Force Awakens at $580m. That's the total if you add the opening for every single country as if they were the same week.

Infinity War has a very decent shot at over $800m. Insanity.

BananaKing

So here's a stat. The all time full opening record is The Force Awakens at $580m. That's the total if you add the opening for every single country as if they were the same week.

Holly fudge.

2 billion + world wide confirmed.

Xevross

Holly fudge.

2 billion + world wide confirmed.
Nah I think people are just rushing out to see it early, rather than it being incredibly popular overall. Of course there's no real way to tell either way yet though. I'd guess 1.8-1.9 total though, which is still amazing for a comic book movie.

Dr. Pezus

The fudge? How?

Go Up