Sony Finally Support Cross-Platform Play - Fortnite XPlatform Beta Starts on PS4

Started by Xevross, Sep 26, 2018, 01:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Extended Fortnite Cross-Play Beta Launches on PS4 Starting Today - PlayStation.Blog

(PS4) Fortnite cross-platform play starts today in open beta | ResetEra

Posted by John Kodera President and Global CEO
 Following a comprehensive evaluation process, SIE has identified a path toward supporting cross-platform features for select third party content. We recognize that PS4 players have been eagerly awaiting an update, and we appreciate the community's continued patience as we have navigated through this issue to find a solution.

The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective.Click to expand...
Finally.   
Megaton, maybe arrogant Sony aren't back after all.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

lmao

Nice.
You're nice.

Dr. Pezus

Sep 26, 2018, 02:22 PM Last Edit: Sep 26, 2018, 02:42 PM by Dr. Pezus

Good move. Wonder if this will affect their revenue from the game though

Xevross

Good move.

Good move. Wonder if this will affect their revenue from the game though
Seems like they've worked out a way to turn this into a positive for their revenue stream.

Ludicrous Speed

Finally. fudge Fortnite though, hope it's added to games that actually need a player base boost on PS4 and Xbox One.

Legend

I wanna see the details. After all this time it'd be odd if it was just basic crossplay without anything else.

I mean crossplay is really really easy to set up. Cube Royale has it between the PS4 build and a PC test build so that I can simulate a lot of players without needing a lot of dev kits.

Xevross

I wanna see the details. After all this time it'd be odd if it was just basic crossplay without anything else.

I mean crossplay is really really easy to set up. Cube Royale has it between the PS4 build and a PC test build so that I can simulate a lot of players without needing a lot of dev kits.
Article mentions cross progression and commerce, so I guess they are going all in with it.

nnodley

About dang time!  Cross play never affected me, but good for those that want it.

Legend

Article mentions cross progression and commerce, so I guess they are going all in with it.
Will people need PSN accounts?

Will non free to play games support this?

I wanna see the details!

Kerotan

Cool for the people begging for this all year.

Now I'm sure they'll all move onto the next issue. Microsoft requiring gold for F2P games and their shame 1st party exclusive line up. Those are the real issues.

Think about it. An xbox player could be cross playing with his buddies on Switch and ps4 and he could be the only one paying the online subscription.

SWORDF1SH

Cool for the people begging for this all year.

Now I'm sure they'll all move onto the next issue. Microsoft requiring gold for F2P games and their shame 1st party exclusive line up. Those are the real issues.

Think about it. An xbox player could be cross playing with his buddies on Switch and ps4 and he could be the only one paying the online subscription.
Honestly, I don't see the issue with charging for live to play ftp games online. The fact that you don't need Plus is more of a positive for PS4 than a negative for Xbox.

Kerotan

Honestly, I don't see the issue with charging for live to play ftp games online. The fact that you don't need Plus is more of a positive for PS4 than a negative for Xbox.
Well i didn't see the issue with having cross play with pc only but each to their own i guess. At least with things like this and ps now improving those with agendas will find it harder to fund a smear campaign against Sony for the ps5 launch.

Legend

Well i didn't see the issue with having cross play with pc only but each to their own i guess. At least with things like this and ps now improving those with agendas will find it harder to fund a smear campaign against Sony for the ps5 launch.
It's also true that crossplay didn't need to be a thing, but cross progression in f2p titles did. It just makes so much business sense and is way less confusing for the consumer.

I do understand your concerns about it being a smear campaign though. I don't think that's the right word but it's been pretty obvious that non PS4 players have been the most vocal in demanding PS4 crossplay (but that doesn't invalidate that there was still a sizable amount of PS4 players that were also campaigning for this).