Sony: VR market growth below expectations

Started by the-pi-guy, May 22, 2018, 09:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sony: VR market growth below expectations | ResetEra

(​IMG)
PlayStation VR was given a more measured appraisal, with Kodera stating that VR's growth is below market expectations. Indeed, in slides accompanying the presentation, PSVR was placed alongside PlayStation Vue and the mobile-focused ForwardWorks as challenging areas in need of improvement.Click to expand...
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...r-the-final-phase-of-playstation-4s-lifecycle Edit: Apparently Oculus is also below expectations: Jarod McChicken said:  
That's pretty much in line with recent comments from Matt Conte (Oculus VR) "I'm not going to mince words: VR is still small. There's not as many headsets out there as we thought there might be a couple of years ago", he said.Click to expand...

SWORDF1SH

I'm kinda surprised. I thought VR was doing great.

the-pi-guy

I'm kinda surprised. I thought VR was doing great.
I don't think it's doing great.  It's been doing fairly well.

But it's still being held back by high price tag, and few must have games.  

Dr. Pezus

I don't think it's doing great.  It's been doing fairly well.

But it's still being held back by high price tag, and few must have games.  
Yeah it's still in the tech demon phase imo. They need the GoW quality VR game to convince the mainstream

Legend

IMO VR needs better comfort and reliability.

A person can buy a PS4 and know they'll have a near perfect experience, but the same can't be said for VR. I hardly ever use mine for example because the tracking just does not work well in my room. I also tend to get headaches depending on the game.

In essence, it's still too young and needs just a bit longer for the tech to mature. I'm really looking forward to next gen headsets with eye tracking.

the-pi-guy

IMO VR needs better comfort and reliability.

A person can buy a PS4 and know they'll have a near perfect experience, but the same can't be said for VR. I hardly ever use mine for example because the tracking just does not work well in my room. I also tend to get headaches depending on the game.

In essence, it's still too young and needs just a bit longer for the tech to mature. I'm really looking forward to next gen headsets with eye tracking.
Absolutely.  

I really hope Sony supports VR next gen.  

A lot of the technical issues are going to be improved by leaps and bounds, and I am sure they will also be more comfortable as well.  Right now VR is just kind of barely good enough.

Xevross

Not surprised at all. There's too many problems with it and pretty much none of the general audience cares about it, with the lack of game support.

Kerotan

Glad I held off for ps5 vr