gamrConnect Forums - GameStop CEO: Unannounced Titles Will Help Switch To "Very, Very Strong" 2018

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 09, 2018, 02:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

gamrConnect Forums - GameStop CEO: Unannounced Titles Will Help Switch To "Very, Very Strong" 2018

What unannounced projects you think Mauler could be referring to? Maybe some unannounced exclusive games like Animal Crossing and Third-Party Games like GTA V, Fallout, Spyro, etc.

Article:

The Switch's first year on sale has been incredible, thanks a flood of amazing games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. 

Even the most optimistic Nintendo fan will admit that 2018 is, by comparison, looking somewhat bare, but GameStop CEO Mike K. Mauler nevertheless thinks it's going to go down as a strong 12 months.

Speaking during the company's earnings call, Mauler said:

We know what happened with the Wii U. I'd say this is definitely a whole different platform that we saw in the past. We have visibility to the software... So, last year was a tremendous year for their software as well as hardware, between Zelda and Mario Odyssey and all the games that they had, it really drove a lot of hardware sales as well as software. I think, this year, when we look at the slate of titles -- many of which haven't been announced yet -- this year looks also very, very strong. So, I think, at least for 2018, we'll continue to see the strong software slate drive additional install based on the hardware and increase attach rate. We don't have, really, visibility for '19 yet, but for '18, it should play out that way.

Source

darkknightkryta

I guess Smash Bros. is closer to release?

Dr. Pezus

I guess Smash Bros. is closer to release?
Smash and animal crossing this year, plus labo

Legend

E3 will be pretty interesting for Nintendo. Will these games really be big or will they just be kinda boring stuff everyone expected?

Dr. Pezus

E3 will be pretty interesting for Nintendo. Will these games really be big or will they just be kinda boring stuff everyone expected?
I'd bet on the former with a dash of the latter

Legend

I'd bet on the former with a dash of the latter
Well let's see...

Super Mario Bros Wii U
ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Lego City Undercover
Mario Party 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
NintendoLand
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Wonderful 101
Pokken
Star Fox Zero
Rayman Legends

If you go through the list of big Wii U games, pretty much everything has already been ported or had a direct sequel announced/released. Excluding games that seem unlikely, there's only a handful of ports that could be announced. They could always port games from other systems, but it looks like the Switch port days might actually mostly be over.

Dr. Pezus

Well let's see...

Super Mario Bros Wii U
ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Lego City Undercover
Mario Party 8
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
NintendoLand
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Bros
Splatoon
Bayonetta 2
Super Mario Maker
Xenoblade X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Hyrule Warriors
Wonderful 101
Pokken
Star Fox Zero
Rayman Legends

If you go through the list of big Wii U games, pretty much everything has already been ported or had a direct sequel announced/released. Excluding games that seem unlikely, there's only a handful of ports that could be announced. They could always port games from other systems, but it looks like the Switch port days might actually mostly be over.
They will port/do a sequel for 3ds games too (pokemon, animal crossing etc)

Legend

They will port/do a sequel for 3ds games too (pokemon, animal crossing etc)
I always forget switch is a handheld.

darkknightkryta

Depends what you consider "boring" I find Mario Galaxy boring, so it would for me.  With that said, Nintendo's been following the same release schedule since after the NES.  Re-release old games with new paint.  They're just skipping the new paint now.