Steam was huge in 2017, PUGB 28m sales

Started by Dr. Pezus, Mar 23, 2018, 06:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

SteamSpy dev: 2017 "the best year for Valve" ($4.3b* in paid game revenue, +63m accounts, and more) | ResetEra

* Excludes microtransactions and DLC. Credit to The Cat With a LightBulb: The Cat With a LightBulb said:  
https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/976942590116298752 But Gabe will need his retirement money soon and will have to sell Valve to Microsoft.Click to expand...
(​IMG) MOD EDIT: Arthands said:  
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._2017_was_Valves_most_profitable_year_yet.php Numbers
  • Steam made $4.3 b revenues in 2017
  • 291 million Steam accounts (overall)
  • 63 million new Steam accounts made in 2017
  • 7696 new games in 2017, 21406 games overall
  • PUBG sold 28m copies, $600m revenue, followed by CS: GO (12.5m sales, $120m revenue)
  • A game must make $22m in gross revenue to break into Steam's top 20
  • 57 m players active in the past 2 weeks
  • 25% of all Steam account holders has played a game in the past 2 weeks (291m/4 = 72.75m)
  • Around 30 games per day, more than 1 per hour
  • 13.9% is American
  • American user buy 6x more games than China user

Legend

Steam is freaking huge. It's basically THE pc gaming software.

the-pi-guy

When isn't Steam big?  

Dr. Pezus

When isn't Steam big?  
Well it feels like it's growing exponentially. Just look at the sales of PUGB and the number of games released!

Xevross

The number of games releasing on steam is a very bad thing, not a good thing. Sales increasing is pretty good though.

the-pi-guy

Well it feels like it's growing exponentially. Just look at the sales of PUGB and the number of games released!
It pretty much is.  :P

The number of games releasing on steam is a very bad thing, not a good thing. Sales increasing is pretty good though.
Hmmm, as long as it's reasonably easy to find quality content, it might not be that bad.

Dr. Pezus

Not necessarily. Good thing for small developers being able to release their games easily

Xevross

Mar 24, 2018, 09:24 AM Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 09:25 AM by Xevross
Hmmm, as long as it's reasonably easy to find quality content, it might not be that bad.
Its not.
Not necessarily. Good thing for small developers being able to release their games easily
The majority of these 'small developers' are just putting out asset flips, or clones of other games. More than half of games released on steam last year were complete trash. Its causing actual developers to seriously lose out, since no one can find their games through all the shame.

You have some indie games selling 20x more on Switch than on steam, simply because they can actually be found on Switch. I can't believe you guys haven't heard about all the steam direct problems :o

Dr. Pezus

Its not.The majority of these 'small developers' are just putting out asset flips, or clones of other games. More than half of games released on steam last year were complete trash. Its causing actual developers to seriously lose out, since no one can find their games through all the shame.

You have some indie games selling 20x more on Switch than on steam, simply because they can actually be found on Switch. I can't believe you guys haven't heard about all the steam direct problems :o
As long as they put their hearts into it  ::)

the-pi-guy

I've only really tried searching for VR games, lately.  That, I thought sucked for other reasons.  

Legend

PCGamer: GDC's 'realistic' talk about game sales on Steam paints a grim picture | ResetEra

"So here's the thing. In February, around 850 games launched on Steam, which is about 40 a day," said Mike Rose, the indie publisher behind downhill biking game Descenders. "About 82 percent of those didn't even make minimum wage ... by this I mean, the money that came out of 82 percent of the games that came out on Steam would not support a singular person on American minimum wage, which I had to Google." That's a sobering way to begin a talk, but it's something Rose has done before. Earlier this year he gave a similar talk, "It's time to be realistic about PC sales figures," with slides you can look at here. His talk at GDC includes slightly updated data but essentially the same conclusion: the average game on Steam simply doesn't sell anymore, and the quantity of games being released has made the platform more like Apple's app store, where it's increasingly difficult to stand out.Click to expand...
According to Rose's estimates of sales on Steam, once he removes "the crud"--games he thinks never had a chance of selling at all--the average game on Steam will sell about 2000 copies and make $12,500 in revenue in its first month. The average game will make $30,000 in its first year.Click to expand...
The takeaway from Rose's talk was simple: have a plan for the worst-case scenario. Don't expect a game to sell enough on Steam to make its money back. And know that as bad as his estimates look, it could be even worse.Click to expand...
Credit and Full Article at the link:https://www.pcgamer.com/gdcs-realistic-talk-about-game-sales-on-steam-paints-a-grim-picture/ Did a search and didn't see this posted. There has been a lot of good discussion concerning independent creators and market viability, particularly so on the Steam platform so I thought I'd share here. For those that don't read the full article, I'd like to add that Rose isn't condemning Steam.  

the-pi-guy

Welp, time to give up my dream.  

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Not really.<br>

Dr. Pezus

PCGamer: GDC's 'realistic' talk about game sales on Steam paints a grim picture | ResetEra

Credit and Full Article at the link:https://www.pcgamer.com/gdcs-realistic-talk-about-game-sales-on-steam-paints-a-grim-picture/ Did a search and didn't see this posted. There has been a lot of good discussion concerning independent creators and market viability, particularly so on the Steam platform so I thought I'd share here. For those that don't read the full article, I'd like to add that Rose isn't condemning Steam.    
It would be interesting to see how much the average steam game cost to make though. I bet a whole lot of those games aren't exactly AAA

Legend

It would be interesting to see how much the average steam game cost to make though. I bet a whole lot of those games aren't exactly AAA
No but non AAA games can still cost millions of dollars.

If you have multiple people working full time on a project it's going to be $50,000+. I've spent 5 years full time on VizionEck and calculating its cost is just depressing  :P

the-pi-guy

Mar 25, 2018, 10:27 PM Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018, 10:29 PM by the-pi-guy
I'd bet a bunch are like 1 month titles.  

No but non AAA games can still cost millions of dollars.

If you have multiple people working full time on a project it's going to be $50,000+. I've spent 5 years full time on VizionEck and calculating its cost is just depressing  :P
*Calculates*
Wow that's a lot!  
Well, if I cared about money I would have just worked at McDonald's part time.  

*Starts tearing up*

Would have made more money at McDonald's.  

Part time.  

*Throws paper away*

Oh well, best not to think about it.