Jonathan Blow (The Witness, Braid) thinks women are biologically less interested in tech than men

Started by the-pi-guy, Dec 19, 2017, 01:33 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Dec 19, 2017, 02:06 AM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2017, 02:10 AM by Xevross
lol at the reactions in that thread.

Its a weird thing to say but he's not being sexist, he clearly explains that. He is wrong though. Well whatever, its never going to affect whether I buy his games or not.

the-pi-guy

lol at the reactions in that thread.
One of those things where I agree with the general sentiment, but a lot of people are really over the top.  

Xevross

One of those things where I agree with the general sentiment, but a lot of people are really over the top. 
That's basically the majority of era off topic isn't it? :D

the-pi-guy

That's basically the majority of era off topic isn't it? :D
Lol yes.  Yes it is.  

Legend

Dec 19, 2017, 02:44 AM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2017, 03:00 AM by Legend
Oh boy. Haven't read the thread yet but he inspired me to be a game dev. Please don't turn out to be a horrible person :(

Edt: agree with both of you. Hopefully not part of a larger trend but on the surface is more dumb than sexist.

BananaKing

well if the statistic says so, then he is right. based off my personal experience id say he is right.

Xevross

Dec 19, 2017, 02:41 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2017, 02:44 PM by Xevross
well if the statistic says so, then he is right. based off my personal experience id say he is right.
No he's trying to say its down to biological differences between men and women, when there's no evidence to suggest that and its almost definitely wrong anyway. The statistic is down to other factors. It is mainly to do with sociology and how girls are raised by their parents and treated at school etc. compared to boys, which leads to boys being more interested in tech.

I remember studying the differences in people in our biology lessons at school. There's two main categories for causes of differences: genetics and environmental. This is an environmental difference for sure.

the-pi-guy

There was a survey that showed that women would be more interested in doing tech jobs if there were more women in tech jobs and if they could be more certain to have a job.  

Also, the percentage of women taking tech jobs was increasing quickly until the 1990's or so, where it dropped off substantially.  

I've also talked to women who weren't sure that they'd be okay doing CS, they were very interested in it but being a male dominated field put them off.  

What's interesting is that some countries in the middle East, like Saudi Arabia, actually have an incredible amount of equality when it comes to joining the stem field.  In fact about half are women.  

There are lots of incidents where scientifically, the culture has just as big of an impact on individual choices as biology.  

Dr. Pezus

Weird stuff. Pretty ignorant tbh. Also lol at that bonus, don't make it worse Blow

SWORDF1SH

Sounds like a lot of overreaction to an opinion.