Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

DD_Bwest

lol i knew i would sleep in, so i avoided evverything after i woke up and watched the stream recorded lol   awesome landing!

next launch no landing,  but the launch after that is a re used booster

Legend

So the first stage is going higher than normal on that one?

Oh that sounds good, they really are quite clever at spaceX aren't they
Yes it goes higher and faster.

Xevross

DD_Bwest

Just a heavier satelite

the extra weight effects the second stage the most, so they want the first stage to get going higher and faster to make up for it

Xevross

Just a heavier satelite

the extra weight effects the second stage the most, so they want the first stage to get going higher and faster to make up for it

Yeah that makes sense.

I wish we'd spent more time on rockets in classical mechanics :(

Legend

Wow great video. Clouds are perfect from that angle!

Yeah that makes sense.

I wish we'd spent more time on rockets in classical mechanics :(
Orbital Mechanics

It's a joke but it's seriously true. Games are the best teachers out there.

Xevross

Orbital Mechanics

Eh I know a lot of orbital mechanics tbh. I haven't played kerbal that much but I can't see it being too complicated

DD_Bwest

Orbital Mechanics

The amount i learned from playing kerbals is astounding.  If ksp was around when i was in high school, or if i was in high school now, i would surely try to go into engineering in the space industry.

i know the clouds look great, passes through just a portion of them, i hope we get some nice closeups.    

i also love the way the tallback for this pad does the quick pull back, as opposed to the slow one at vandenberg and the old florida pad.

Xevross

Also that video is pretty ridiculous

Well I guess I know more about the theory and the equations behind orbital mechanics but KSP helps you understand the practicalities better

DD_Bwest

yup, ksp will teach you how to apply it in practice.  I dont know any of the equation stuff, but i know what will happen when you apply thrust in given directions and how itll effect your orbit.   flying by the seat of your pants with help from computers lol

Legend

i also love the way the tallback for this pad does the quick pull back, as opposed to the slow one at vandenberg and the old florida pad.
I thought it would have moved back quicker and farther. This is still better than the old way but I imagined it'd go full horizontal.

Xevross

yup, ksp will teach you how to apply it in practice.  I dont know any of the equation stuff, but i know what will happen when you apply thrust in given directions and how itll effect your orbit.   flying by the seat of your pants with help from computers lol
KSP is a very cool game. I feel like I'd love it if I played it.

I could work out what the trajectory change would be given a certain thrust but it would probably take me a long time. We did it before in a tutorial but I've forgotten how you do it now.

I should revise  ;D

Legend

Also seems it's been awhile since the last post here.

Next rocket launch is the 12th. Was delayed.

DD_Bwest

Also seems it's been awhile since the last post here.

Next rocket launch is the 12th. Was delayed.
yea i heard the launch got pushed back

any speculation as to what this is about?

Legend

yea i heard the launch got pushed back

any speculation as to what this is about?
Probably the space suit.

Go Up