Horizon Zero Dawn Review Thread 89 OC (86 reviews), 89 MC (108 reviews)

Started by Xevross, Feb 19, 2017, 09:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

METACRITIC | OPENCRITIC

GiantBomb | 5/5

Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date.
Cogconnected | 10/10

Independent UK | 10/10

Playstation Lifestyle | 10/10

Twinfinite | 5/5

Its magical world is a wonder to explore, it controls and looks exceptional, and the unique, modular build of its enemies ensures that combat never gets old. Yes, items could have been more accessible, and I was left with more questions than answers by the end, but these were mere speed bumps in the bigger picture. Horizon Zero Dawn is the PS4's first major exclusive of 2017, and it couldn't have gotten much better.
Telegraph UK | 5/5

On the surface, Horizon seems like a jumble of influences but, just like the murderous machina wandering its lands, the game is far more than its component parts, delivering a gripping story, satisfying combat, and the most gorgeous video game environments I've ever seen. Horizon confidently carves out an identity of its own in an overpopulated genre.
CheatCodeCentral | 4.9/5

XGN | 9.7/10

PSX-Sense.nl | 9.5/10

Tweakers.net | 9.5/10

Zwame | 9.5/10

God is a Geek | 9.5/10

Polygon | 9.5/10

Playstation Universe | 9.5/10

Hobby Consolas | 9.5/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is Guerrilla's biggest game to date, and not just from a technical standpoint. It's also one hell of an action RPG, thanks to a complex and satisfying combat system. The story and universe are also huge; Aloy's future is already shining on the horizon. A star is born.
Jimquisition | 9.5/10

IGN | 9.3/10

Everyeye.it | 9.2/10

Meristation | 9.2/10

Horizon: Zero Dawn is probably the best Guerrilla game ever and one of the most solid open world experiences that we've seen recently. A true must-have for Playstation 4 owners.
IGN Spain | 9.2/10

Gameblog.fr | 9/10

Few new licenses have been successful in setting the bar so high. Thanks to its varied, dazzling landscapes, its controlled rhythm, and sharp gameplay, Aloy's quest redefines what immersion in an open world means, if it does not revolutionize the genre.
GamePro | 9/10

Forbes | 9/10

Gamespot | 9/10

RPG Site | 9/10

I took approximately thirty-five hours to complete Horizon Zero Dawn's main story, but the first thing I did after I finished was dive right back in. There were still exciting quests to do, gorgeous places to discover, and fascinating characters to meet. I'm still falling in love with this world and all the magnificent things it has to offer. Guerrilla Games has created something truly impressive and memorable with their first dive into the genre, and I have only endless excitement for all that's in store for the future of this universe.
Push Square | 9/10

Gamereactor UK | 9/10

Gamereactor Spain | 9/10

Next Gen Gaming Blog | 9/10

Press-Start AUS | 9/10

Eurogamer.it | 9/10

ShackNews | 9/10

When I began Horizon: Zero Dawn, I was anxious it wouldn't be able to maintain itself for thirty-plus hours. I'm thrilled that fear was unfounded. The play was constantly rich and rewarding, and the mysteries constantly unfolding. I'm left not just feeling satisfied the entire time, but wanting more. This one is something special.
Hardcore Gamer | 4.5/5

Trusted Reviews | 4.5/5

GamesRadar | 4.5/5

We Got This Covered | 4.5/5

Multiplayer.it | 8.8/10

Vandal | 8.8/10

A spectacular and entertaining open world adventure that becomes one of the must-have exclusives of PS4.
Game Informer | 8.75/10

New Game Network | 8/10

Metro | 8/10

State-of-the-art visuals help create one of gaming's most entertaining open worlds, even if the gameplay doesn't quite reach the same standards.
Videogamer | 8/10

Destroying large robot beasts while frantically switching between weapons is intoxicating, but the strength of Horizon Zero Dawn is in Aloy's engaging quest to find out who she really is.
The Sixth Axis | 8/10

The Daily Dot | 8/10

The open-world sensations of Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the best of the current console generation. Climbing snow-capped mountains and crawling through verdant valleys never fails to be as exciting. This apocalyptic wasteland feels remarkably dynamic, with randomized characters and enemies roaming the world and creating emergent encounters...Though Horizon doesn't represent a revolution in open-world adventures, it borrows heavily from past success stories and elevates the genre to a beautiful new standard.
Easy Allies | 4/5

Destructoid | 7.5/10

Stevivor | 7/10

Gamekult | 7/10

USGAMER | 2.5/5

The Verge | No Score, Recommended

Ars Technica | No Score, Buy It

Eurogamer | No Score

Kotaku AUS | No Score | Impressions 1 | Impressions 2

Gamersyde | No Score

the-pi-guy

1 comment= 5 prayers
1$ sent to Pi = 1 prayer

So send your money's!  

Xevross

1 comment= 5 prayers
1$ sent to Pi = 1 prayer

So send your money's!  
I sent you $30 and I'm telling you I sent $35 so that's 35 prayers.

nnodley

I'm thinking the game will live up to the great impressions we have been getting.  My 90 prediction I think is pretty close give or take a couple points.

ethomaz

There are two reviews... no score but one looks like 9-10 and other like 8.

I guess the embargo ends tomorrow night too.

Legend

There are two reviews... no score but one looks like 9-10 and other like 8.

I guess the embargo ends tomorrow night too.
Embargo ends tonight, not tomorrow.

ethomaz

Embargo ends tonight, not tomorrow.
Well read Monday to Tuesday but let's see... today is even better.

nnodley

I likely won't be up long past 3am.  Just gonna see a few reviews for a bit and then head to bed.  Gotta get on that workout grind in the morning!!

Legend

French website gave it a 8/410

Spoiler for Hidden:
<a href="http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/2690-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.gameblog.fr/tests/2690-horizon-zero-dawn-ps4</a>

Raven

Legend

BasilZero

I'm sure this game will meet expectations.

Higher 80s at the worst, lower 90s at the best imo.

Hopefully it becomes a franchise with more sequels in mind in the future.

GribbleGrunger

From that 9/10 French review:

A new start to dazzling ambition and overflowing generosity, a "post-post-apocalyptic" open-world, a fierce heroine, all combined for a dizzying masterpiece.
The most beautiful open-world of this generation...

It was a bit of a thrill to realize that after more than 20 hours of playing, I continued to discover unexplored places or find new types of objects ... Yes, to the end, I never ceased to be Amazed by the artistic richness, the grandeur of the places, the majesty of the panoramas to the point of being able to take pleasure in simply to traverse it.
What a technological and artistic demonstration, so close to the level of a Naughty Dog title but in total open-world without any loading time once launched in the adventure. Several times I was crushed by the visual and playful generosity of the game. Many times I wondered what superhuman efforts the teams of Guerrilla had to deploy to give birth to such a work so rich, so dense, so beautiful and so refined . Much more profoundly than with the Killzone saga, Guerrilla hoists his name among the very great.
From A Gaffer playing it:

Originally Posted by The Lamp
OH MY GOD

WHAT IS THIS GAME
 MIAMIIIIIIIIIIIII I have no idea if you're where I am in this game but OMG

THIS PLOT

GUERILLA WHAT HAVE YOU DONE HERE

:O

I don't want to be consumed by hype but OMG

Aura7541

Go Up